Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake (UK edition)
Title: Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns 1)
Author: Kendare Blake
Genre: Fantasy, Sword & Sorcery, Young Adult
Publisher: Macmillan Children’s Books (22nd September 2016)
IN EVERY GENERATION ON THE ISLAND OF FENNBIRN A SET OF TRIPLETS IS BORN: THREE QUEENS, ALL EQUAL HEIRS TO THE CROWN, ALL POSSESSED OF A COVETED MAGIC.
MIRABELLA, a fierce elemental, can spark hungry flames with the click of a finger.
KATHARINE, a poisoner, is known to be resistant to the deadliest of snake bites.
ARSINOE, a naturalist, is rumoured to have the ability to bloom the reddest of roses.
But becoming the Queen Crowned is not just a matter of royal birth. These three sisters must fight to the death for the throne, and on the night they turn sixteen the battle begins. Only one queen can inherit the crown.
WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️ (3 stars)
THREE DARK CROWNS is the first novel in Kendare Blake’s latest series. The book tells the story of a set of triplets born on the island of Fennbirn. These triplets are all considered queens, and all three of them have an equal claim to the crown. All three of them possess a coveted magic, though that is where their similarities end. Mirabella can control the elements; Katharine is a poisoner, known to be resistant to the most deadly or toxins; and Arsinoe is a naturalist who can make flowers bloom and call animals to her. Only one of them can claim the crown, and the winner must kill her sisters.
Mortal Gods by Kendare Blake
Title: Mortal Gods (The Goddess War, 2)
Author: Kendare Blake
Genre: Mythology, Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Tor Teen (8th September 2015)
ARES, GOD OF WAR, is leading the other dying gods into battle. Which is just fine with Athena. She’s ready to wage a war of her own, and she’s never liked him anyway. If Athena is lucky, the winning gods will have their immortality restored. If not, at least she’ll have killed a bloody lot of them, and she and Hermes can die in peace.
Cassandra Weaver is a weapon of fate. The girl who kills gods. But all she wants is for the god she loved and lost to return to life. If she can’t have that, then the other gods will burn, starting with his murderer, Aphrodite.
The alliance between Cassandra and Athena is fragile. Cassandra suspects Athena lacks the will to truly kill her own family. And Athena fears that Cassandra’s hate will get them all killed.
The war takes them across the globe, searching for lost gods, old enemies, and Achilles, the greatest warrior the world has ever seen. As the struggle escalates, Athena and Cassandra must find a way to work together. Because if they can’t, fates far worse than death await.
Rating: **** (4 stars)
MORTAL GODS by Kendare Blake is the second book in The Goddess War trilogy. The book continues the stories of Cassandra and Athena from ANTIGODDESS (review). The old Greek gods are slowly dying; fading ignobly in agony. Cassandra and Athena face the oncoming battles with a fragile alliance stretched between them. And Cassandra is the girl who kills gods.
ICYMI (In Case You Missed It) Sunday is a new meme that I am planning to feature on the blog every week. It is based on the Sunday Post which is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer, which was in turn inspired in part by the In My Mailbox meme. Basically, it allows me to let you know what went on the blog this week and anything interesting that is going on. It will also allow me to showcase any books I receive like the Showcase Sunday which is hosted by Vicky at Books, Biscuits, and Tea.
So, let’s start the first ICYMI Sunday off simply with a small update from me.
On Saturday February 1st my dog Lucky was put to sleep. It was both unexpected and not. We knew he only had a limited time, but we weren’t sure how long or short that time would be. Lucky dying really threw me, and I’m still not balanced. I also haven’t been well, and am currently fighting off a cold. I have started reading and writing reviews again though. So yeah, for me this February really sucked.
As I haven’t done a catch up on the blog for a while, I’m going to start back in January with stuff that has been on the blog.
Not a lot for almost two months worth of posts, but the blog has been ticking over which is good 🙂
What else is going on?
- The cover for Amanda Sun‘s new novel RAIN will be revealed on Monday, plus there will be an ARC giveaway – you can find a sneak peek here.
- World Book Day Fest is holding a 500 word writing contest for entrants 13 years and under in the UK. Stories must be submitted by 7pm on Wednesday 26th February. More details can be found here.
- Are you in Edinburgh on the 5th of March? Joseph D’Lacey is launching THE BOOK OF THE CROWMAN at Blackwell’s Edinburgh 6.30pm -8pm. The event is free, but you will need a ticket. You can find more info here.
- Melissa Anelli author of the best-selling HARRY, A HISTORY spoke out about her experience of being stalked here.
- J. K. Rowling is to release a second book under the nom-de-plume Robert Galbraith. THE SILKWORM is a sequel to THE CUCKOO’S CALLING. You can find more info about the book on The Telegraph newspaper here.
- John Green made some comments on his Twitter account (which you can read here on a UK Twilight fan site), which he later clarified on his Tumblr account about TWILIGHT and misogyny.
- Penguin/Pelican are holding a giveaway for 50 copies of GREEK AND ROMAN POLITICAL IDEAS: A PELICAN INTRODUCTION on Goodreads here. Giveaway runs until April 10th.
- The Red House Children’s Book Awards took place on Saturday 22nd February. You can find the winners and other nominees here.
- Want to know what to look forward to in autumn/fall 2014? You can find a list of books published in the States then here.
Now we’re all caught up, sorta. I’m going to do a quick post on the books I have received between December and now…
- FALLING FAST by Sophie McKenzie (YA) (thanks Orli – Valentine’s Ninja Book Swap)
- SOLACE OF THE ROAD by Siobhan Dowd (YA) (thanks Orli – Valentine’s Ninja Book Swap)
- WITCH SONG by Amber Argyle (YA) (ebook)
- STOLEN SONGBIRD by Danielle L. Jensen (YA) (ebook via NetGalley – thanks Strange Chemistry)
- SHUTDOWN by Laurell K. Hamilton (adult) (ebook)
- THE DARK HEROINE by Abigail Gibbs (YA) (thanks Secret Santa)
- ANGELFALL by Susan Ee (YA) (thanks Secret Santa)
- DELIRUM by Lauren Oliver (YA) (thanks Secret Santa)
- DANCE OF SHADOWS by Yelena Black (YA) (thanks Faye @ A Daydreamer’s Thoughts – I won her blogoversay giveaway back in November)
- GRETEL AND THE DARK by Eliza Granville (YA) (thanks Catherine and Penguin Ireland)
- STEELHEART by Brandon Sanderson (YA) (thanks Secret Santa)
So that’s it. The end of this rather epic post. Next weeks won’t be as long. Promise.
I would love to hear what you’ve been up to this week and what books, if any, you’ve got so please leave me a link in the comments below.
Thanks for stopping by 😀
Antigoddess by Kendare Blake
Title: Antigoddess (The Goddess War: Book One)
Author: Kendare Blake
Genre: Mythology, Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Orchard (10th September 2013)
He was Apollo, the sun, and he’d burn down anything that tried to hurt her . . .
Cassandra and Aidan are just your average high-school couple. Blissfully unaware of her own power, Cassandra doesn’t even know that gods exist.
Because the gods are dying – and Cassandra could hold the answer to their survival. But Aidan has a secret, and he will do anything to protect the girl that he loves from the danger that’s coming to her. Even if it means war against his immortal family . . .
Stunning romance and relentless suspense – discover the first incredible book in THE GODDESS WAR trilogy.
Rating: ***** (5 stars)
ANTIGODDESS is the first book in Kendare Blake’s new young adult trilogy THE GODDESS WAR. Blake draws characters – both mortals and gods – from Greek mythology and sets the story in a small town in the state of New York. The gods are slowly dying, and not all are disappearing with a whimper. They seek a way to save themselves.