ICYMI Sunday 6 – Mothering Sunday Edition
ICYMI (In Case You Missed It) Sunday is a new meme that I am planning to feature on the blog every week. It is based on the Sunday Post which is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer, which was in turn inspired in part by the In My Mailbox meme. Basically, it allows me to let you know what went on the blog this week and anything interesting that is going on. It will also allow me to showcase any books I receive like the Showcase Sunday which is hosted by Vicky at Books, Biscuits, and Tea.
HAPPY MOTHERING SUNDAY!
Most of us in the UK have combined Mothering Sunday and Mother’s Day – there’s some interesting history to the day. I got my Mum some flowers and a card, we also had lunch out :)
This week has been pretty blah. I haven’t felt like reading (boo!) but there has been some gorgeous sunny days in which to bask. On the whole this week has been a good one – I hope yours has been too.
We were back to just one post on the blog this week:
- 4 star review of THE HOLLOWS INSIDER by Kim Harrison
What else is going on? Not as much as last week (phew!) but hopefully there’s something interesting…
- Last week YA Interrobang created a list of ‘Ten Male Protagonists’ aimed at those who claim there are no male main characters in YA books. See which books they picked here.
- BookRiot showed off what comes in their Quarterly Box – and it does look gorgeous, but I cannot tell if it ships internationally or not. If you want to look at the pretty, or subscribe and get your own box you can find more here.
- E. Kristin Anderson talks about ‘The new face (or lackthereof) of YA book covers’. You can find her thoughts here. It’s a really interesting post, and I can’t say I’ve noticed this trend yet – but give it time!
- Colleen Houck announces the authors taking part in Spring 2014 YA Scavenger Hunt as well as the date it starts and what to do. More info can be found here.
- The nominations for Alpha Showdown are OPEN and will be until March 31st 2014. Want to nominate someone or find out more, then just follow the link.
- If you’re a John Green fan then you probably know this already but… Fox 2000 have made a deal for Green’s novel PAPER TOWNS which reunites the FAULT IN OUR STARS team. You can find out more here.
- According to The Guardian, the previously unpublished Tennessee Williams short story CRAZY NIGHTS is to make an appearance in the US magazine The Strand. You can find out more here.
- Gail Carriger talks about Twitter Etiquette here & I must confess I am guilty of breaking some of them – oops!
- Publisher’s Weekly has a preview of the books (picture, middle grade and young adult) that are slated to be published during autumn in the US. If you want to take a peek at what titles we have to look forward to, you can find them here. Titles are split by publisher, just as a heads-up.
- Del Rey UK have an extract from DARK VISION by Debbie Johnson available here on their website for anyone interested – the link also shows the blurb and cover if you want more info. You can also see some Debbie Johnson’s Q&As here.
Hopefully there was something interesting for everyone. I found the list of male protagonists interesting, because although I know there are a lot out there I think I would struggle to name ten off the top of my head – but maybe that’s a gender thing?! Gail Carriger’s Twitter ettiquette was a funny and informative read, at least I think so. And I’m contemplating getting my hands on a copy of DARK VISION.
I would love to hear what you’ve been up to this week and what books, if any, you’ve got so please leave me a link in the comments below.
Thanks for stopping by
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- Bout of Books 11 – Day 2 bloglovin.com/blog/post/6017… on @bloglovin 16 minutes ago
- @KelleyArmstrong wish I could go, but have doctors appointment. Hope you have a great time! 18 minutes ago
- RT @KelleyArmstrong: One final reminder for my Forbidden Planet signing in London (UK) tonight. 6 PM. I’ll talk, sign stuff, etc ;) https:/… 19 minutes ago
- Photo: randomfandemonium: Jim Beaver just made the Ice Bucket Challenge haters sit down and shutup (Link... tmblr.co/Zv_19w1Okd7yF 28 minutes ago
- Photo: tmblr.co/Zv_19w1OkcjaM 31 minutes ago
- @CarolynMorgan_ Yay! I've filled in the form. 40 minutes ago
- Bout of Books 11 – Day 2 - Bout of Books 11 – Day 2 Tuesday – Day 2 The second day of this read-a-thon went... tmblr.co/Zv_19w1OkaCln 49 minutes ago
- RT @gollancz_df: Announcing @RealCharlaine's UK tour! Join Charlaine and our own @sophiesff on tour this September! bit.ly/1n8USCJ 1 hour ago
- Ugh! I've got a doctors appointment later today. Bet I'll have to wait forever, as they're bound to be running late. 2 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.