ICYMI Sunday 5 – The one with a new Harry Potter Cover link!
ICYMI (In Case You Missed It) Sunday is a new meme that I am planning to feature on the blog every week. It is based on the Sunday Post which is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer, which was in turn inspired in part by the In My Mailbox meme. Basically, it allows me to let you know what went on the blog this week and anything interesting that is going on. It will also allow me to showcase any books I receive like the Showcase Sunday which is hosted by Vicky at Books, Biscuits, and Tea.
My moods have been all over the place this week, and Mum and Dad have been awesome about it. It’s partly down to grief and partly down to tiredness/lack of food/no energy. It’s also meant I haven’t really felt like reading this week, which sucked but hopefully next week will be better.
We were back to just one post on the blog this week:
- 2 star review of This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith
- I have also picked out the winner of my Holly Black giveaway and emailed them. A HUGE thank you to everyone who entered – you’re why I host giveaways :)
What else is going on? I seem to have found a lot of “news” this week again – it seems to come in swings and roundabouts! I hope there’s something interesting on here for you.
- Guardian Books had a “fiendishly difficult” St. Paddy’s Irish fiction quotes quiz, which you can find here if you want a go.
- Cayce at Fighting Dreamer and Laura at Laura Plus Books are hosting a LGBT Month in April. If you want to sign up or just find out more then follow the link here.
- Angry Robot Books are giving away ten copies of THE BOOK OF THE CROWMAN on Goodreads, you can enter here.
- The Children’s Book Council and Every Child a Reader announced the finalists for the seventh annual Children’s and Teen Choice Book Awards, but this was not without controversy, as it has emerged that one of the finalists is Rush Limbaugh – a controversial radio talk show host. You can find out more here about how the CBC and ECAR responded to the criticism.
- Simon Kids UK shared the cover of ON SUDDEN HILL by Linda Sarah and Benji Davies on their Facebook page. You can find the gorgeous cover here.
- J. R. R. Tolkien translation of BEOWULF to be published in May after 90-year wait. The Guardian has an article about it, which you can find here.
- On her blog Julie Kagawa is giving away a signed copy of FOREVER SONG and one of her dragons. The giveaway is international, and you can find out more about it here.
- According to The Bookseller, Amazon Publishing UK plans to release more than 500 titles this year. You can find out more about that here.
- BIBLIOdaze have an article titled ‘Things YA Readers Are Sick of Hearing & How To Respond’ which is an interesting read that you can find here.
- The Electronic Frontier Foundation talk about the U. S. Copyright Office updating the copyright act and what it means for everyone here.
- Amy Lynn Andrews discusses on her blog how as an Amazon Associate you may be unwittingly breaking the Terms of Service – you can find out more here.
- Bloomsbury have got some fantastic new jackets for the HARRY POTTER series, which have been created by award-winning artist Jonny Duddle. These new covers will be published on September 1st 2014. You can see the cover and find out more here (there’s also a Q&A with Duddle).
- The Guardian Books Blog talks about ‘The underrated books whose reputation you want raised’ which has some interesting author picks. You can find the post here.
- Brain Pickings has an article based on Neil Gaiman’s TED talk in Vancouver in 2014 (along with video) where Gaiman talks about the art of fear in children’s books. You can find out more here.
- The Guardian Book Blogs discuss spoilers and the impact they can have on books. You can find more here.
Fifteen things I found interesting this week – wow. I’m really excited about the new editions of the HARRY POTTER series – depending on how the rest look, I may have to invest in them. I’m also curious about Tolkien’s adaptation of BEOWULF, as adaptations are always interesting in terms of what is kept in and what is taken out. As far as books and spoilers go….well, I think a spoiler can mean you won’t read a book because you know what will happen – but that’s just my opinion, I’d love to know your thoughts.
I would love to hear what you’ve been up to this week and what books, if any, you’ve got so please leave me a link in the comments below.
Thanks for stopping by
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is currently tentatively interested in receiving books for review as she has nearly reached the bottom of her TBR (for the moment). The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @hodderscape: Jurassic World trailer trailer! youtube.com/watch?v=tvdIL7… 1 hour ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Confirmed teams, with correct spelling of @BlaineScully1! http://t.co/BYJqCvEGCc 3 hours ago
- bookphile: I think that my biggest beef with a lot of supernatural teen fiction — aside from gross misogyny... tmblr.co/Zv_19w1WHN9Wz 3 hours ago
- ICYMI: Find out what I thought of the final book in the Blood of Eden trilogy: The Forever Song by Julie Kagawa: wp.me/p1sIYY-LD 4 hours ago
- ICYMI: Find out what I thought of We Were Liars by E. Lockhart: wp.me/p1sIYY-LF 4 hours ago
- Interesting to see how the #AbuDhabiGP will end... 4 hours ago
- RT @Hambofoundation: @LeicesterTigers fans two hours to go on this special auction for the signed official history book http://t.co/mM8jSrX… 7 hours ago
- RT @clareboyce89: #bookadayuk day 22: my favourite book about a journey has to be The Hobbit. Tolkien's writing is exquisite. @headlinepg 17 hours ago
- RT @bookswithacuppa: Covent Garden in all its festive glory ✨🎄 http://t.co/10ZF0boLHc 17 hours ago
- RT @trebahgarden: Looks like it will be bright and crisp all weekend. Perfect for a walk in the garden and a spot of lunch #trebah http://t… 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.