ICYMI Sunday 5 – The one with a new Harry Potter Cover link!
ICYMI (In Case You Missed It) Sunday is a new meme that I am planning to feature on the blog every week. It is based on the Sunday Post which is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer, which was in turn inspired in part by the In My Mailbox meme. Basically, it allows me to let you know what went on the blog this week and anything interesting that is going on. It will also allow me to showcase any books I receive like the Showcase Sunday which is hosted by Vicky at Books, Biscuits, and Tea.
My moods have been all over the place this week, and Mum and Dad have been awesome about it. It’s partly down to grief and partly down to tiredness/lack of food/no energy. It’s also meant I haven’t really felt like reading this week, which sucked but hopefully next week will be better.
We were back to just one post on the blog this week:
- 2 star review of This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith
- I have also picked out the winner of my Holly Black giveaway and emailed them. A HUGE thank you to everyone who entered – you’re why I host giveaways :)
What else is going on? I seem to have found a lot of “news” this week again – it seems to come in swings and roundabouts! I hope there’s something interesting on here for you.
- Guardian Books had a “fiendishly difficult” St. Paddy’s Irish fiction quotes quiz, which you can find here if you want a go.
- Cayce at Fighting Dreamer and Laura at Laura Plus Books are hosting a LGBT Month in April. If you want to sign up or just find out more then follow the link here.
- Angry Robot Books are giving away ten copies of THE BOOK OF THE CROWMAN on Goodreads, you can enter here.
- The Children’s Book Council and Every Child a Reader announced the finalists for the seventh annual Children’s and Teen Choice Book Awards, but this was not without controversy, as it has emerged that one of the finalists is Rush Limbaugh – a controversial radio talk show host. You can find out more here about how the CBC and ECAR responded to the criticism.
- Simon Kids UK shared the cover of ON SUDDEN HILL by Linda Sarah and Benji Davies on their Facebook page. You can find the gorgeous cover here.
- J. R. R. Tolkien translation of BEOWULF to be published in May after 90-year wait. The Guardian has an article about it, which you can find here.
- On her blog Julie Kagawa is giving away a signed copy of FOREVER SONG and one of her dragons. The giveaway is international, and you can find out more about it here.
- According to The Bookseller, Amazon Publishing UK plans to release more than 500 titles this year. You can find out more about that here.
- BIBLIOdaze have an article titled ‘Things YA Readers Are Sick of Hearing & How To Respond’ which is an interesting read that you can find here.
- The Electronic Frontier Foundation talk about the U. S. Copyright Office updating the copyright act and what it means for everyone here.
- Amy Lynn Andrews discusses on her blog how as an Amazon Associate you may be unwittingly breaking the Terms of Service – you can find out more here.
- Bloomsbury have got some fantastic new jackets for the HARRY POTTER series, which have been created by award-winning artist Jonny Duddle. These new covers will be published on September 1st 2014. You can see the cover and find out more here (there’s also a Q&A with Duddle).
- The Guardian Books Blog talks about ‘The underrated books whose reputation you want raised’ which has some interesting author picks. You can find the post here.
- Brain Pickings has an article based on Neil Gaiman’s TED talk in Vancouver in 2014 (along with video) where Gaiman talks about the art of fear in children’s books. You can find out more here.
- The Guardian Book Blogs discuss spoilers and the impact they can have on books. You can find more here.
Fifteen things I found interesting this week – wow. I’m really excited about the new editions of the HARRY POTTER series – depending on how the rest look, I may have to invest in them. I’m also curious about Tolkien’s adaptation of BEOWULF, as adaptations are always interesting in terms of what is kept in and what is taken out. As far as books and spoilers go….well, I think a spoiler can mean you won’t read a book because you know what will happen – but that’s just my opinion, I’d love to know your thoughts.
I would love to hear what you’ve been up to this week and what books, if any, you’ve got so please leave me a link in the comments below.
Thanks for stopping by
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
The Flutterby Room is on hiatus throughout the month of March 2015.
- Review: Clariel by Garth Nix - My review: Set within the s... theflutterbyroom.booklikes.com/post/1196308/r… 20 minutes ago
- My review: WILD JUSTICE brings to a conclusion Kelley Armstrong’s brilliant Nadia... theflutterbyroom.booklikes.com/post/1196307/p… 24 minutes ago
- Review: Wild Things - My review: WILD THINGS is the ninth addition ... theflutterbyroom.booklikes.com/post/1196306/r… 27 minutes ago
- Review: Rock Courtship - ROCK COURTSHIP is the first novella in ... theflutterbyroom.booklikes.com/post/1196304/r… 31 minutes ago
- @JessHeartsBooks those suck!! Hope you're feeling better soon! 1 hour ago
- Recently I have been having a difficult time just sitting down and reading. Something always seems to… instagram.com/p/4wVBLNkGr6/ 2 hours ago
- RT @qwertee: "time and space vortex" is today's tee on Qwertee.com ReTweet for a chance at a FREE TEE! http://t.co/inDlI0bmdK 5 hours ago
- RT @BookTubeAThon: 🚨💥 ALERT! ALERT! TO MAKE THE #BOOKTUBEATHON THE BEST IT CAN BE THE DATES HAVE CHANGED TO AUGUST 3RD - AUGUST 9TH! SPREAD… 5 hours ago
- RT @KidsBloomsbury: Announcing our summer readalong for the #ThroneofGlass series by @SJmaas! Read with us! bit.ly/1IuTzwl http://t… 2 days ago
- Review: Blood Games by Chloe Neill bloglovin.com/blog/post/6017… on @bloglovin 3 days ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.