ICYMI Sunday 5 – The one with a new Harry Potter Cover link!
ICYMI (In Case You Missed It) Sunday is a new meme that I am planning to feature on the blog every week. It is based on the Sunday Post which is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer, which was in turn inspired in part by the In My Mailbox meme. Basically, it allows me to let you know what went on the blog this week and anything interesting that is going on. It will also allow me to showcase any books I receive like the Showcase Sunday which is hosted by Vicky at Books, Biscuits, and Tea.
My moods have been all over the place this week, and Mum and Dad have been awesome about it. It’s partly down to grief and partly down to tiredness/lack of food/no energy. It’s also meant I haven’t really felt like reading this week, which sucked but hopefully next week will be better.
We were back to just one post on the blog this week:
- 2 star review of This is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. Smith
- I have also picked out the winner of my Holly Black giveaway and emailed them. A HUGE thank you to everyone who entered – you’re why I host giveaways :)
What else is going on? I seem to have found a lot of “news” this week again – it seems to come in swings and roundabouts! I hope there’s something interesting on here for you.
- Guardian Books had a “fiendishly difficult” St. Paddy’s Irish fiction quotes quiz, which you can find here if you want a go.
- Cayce at Fighting Dreamer and Laura at Laura Plus Books are hosting a LGBT Month in April. If you want to sign up or just find out more then follow the link here.
- Angry Robot Books are giving away ten copies of THE BOOK OF THE CROWMAN on Goodreads, you can enter here.
- The Children’s Book Council and Every Child a Reader announced the finalists for the seventh annual Children’s and Teen Choice Book Awards, but this was not without controversy, as it has emerged that one of the finalists is Rush Limbaugh – a controversial radio talk show host. You can find out more here about how the CBC and ECAR responded to the criticism.
- Simon Kids UK shared the cover of ON SUDDEN HILL by Linda Sarah and Benji Davies on their Facebook page. You can find the gorgeous cover here.
- J. R. R. Tolkien translation of BEOWULF to be published in May after 90-year wait. The Guardian has an article about it, which you can find here.
- On her blog Julie Kagawa is giving away a signed copy of FOREVER SONG and one of her dragons. The giveaway is international, and you can find out more about it here.
- According to The Bookseller, Amazon Publishing UK plans to release more than 500 titles this year. You can find out more about that here.
- BIBLIOdaze have an article titled ‘Things YA Readers Are Sick of Hearing & How To Respond’ which is an interesting read that you can find here.
- The Electronic Frontier Foundation talk about the U. S. Copyright Office updating the copyright act and what it means for everyone here.
- Amy Lynn Andrews discusses on her blog how as an Amazon Associate you may be unwittingly breaking the Terms of Service – you can find out more here.
- Bloomsbury have got some fantastic new jackets for the HARRY POTTER series, which have been created by award-winning artist Jonny Duddle. These new covers will be published on September 1st 2014. You can see the cover and find out more here (there’s also a Q&A with Duddle).
- The Guardian Books Blog talks about ‘The underrated books whose reputation you want raised’ which has some interesting author picks. You can find the post here.
- Brain Pickings has an article based on Neil Gaiman’s TED talk in Vancouver in 2014 (along with video) where Gaiman talks about the art of fear in children’s books. You can find out more here.
- The Guardian Book Blogs discuss spoilers and the impact they can have on books. You can find more here.
Fifteen things I found interesting this week – wow. I’m really excited about the new editions of the HARRY POTTER series – depending on how the rest look, I may have to invest in them. I’m also curious about Tolkien’s adaptation of BEOWULF, as adaptations are always interesting in terms of what is kept in and what is taken out. As far as books and spoilers go….well, I think a spoiler can mean you won’t read a book because you know what will happen – but that’s just my opinion, I’d love to know your thoughts.
I would love to hear what you’ve been up to this week and what books, if any, you’ve got so please leave me a link in the comments below.
Thanks for stopping by
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @EMTrains: Stay safe this summer, don't take short cuts across the railway, watch this @networkrail video: emt.do/zzbmH 11 hours ago
- RT @jayne0311: @lostteddybear Sleepy Bear has gone missing in #Liverpool nr Fiveways. LG is devestated http://t.co/aL7NEE0FLV 13 hours ago
- RT @EMTrains: #EMTUpdate Industrial action affecting our trains from Sun 27 - Thurs 31 July, some routes have amended timetables: http://t.… 14 hours ago
- RT @empiremagazine: And it climaxes with Michael Caine reciting Dylan Thomas' classic, Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night. Interstellar … 22 hours ago
- RT @melissa_marr: Me: *uses calculator to figure out age* Son: Seriously? How do you not remember how old you are?! Me: Bc it's not impor… 22 hours ago
- @melissa_marr yeah, that awkward moment when ppl ask how old you are and you realise you don't know (or care) 22 hours ago
- @TheBookRat that is an awesome sword 22 hours ago
- RT @DWAnimation: Just smile and wave, boys! Just smile and wave. #PenguinsMovie #SDCC http://t.co/jZFc2h4h2K 1 day ago
- RT @empiremagazine: Comic-Con Day 1 is underway. We've come dressed as lettuce. Because we're cosplaying. Cosplaying. Cos is a type of lett… 1 day ago
- RT @lovereadinguk: What book has had your imagination bursting out of the pages lately? http://t.co/RzMutc3QP3 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.