Review: After Dead by Charlaine Harris
Title: After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse (Southern Vampire Mysteries #13.5)
Author: Charlaine Harris
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Gollancz (31st October 2013)
Dead Ever After marked the end of the Sookie Stackhouse novels – a series that garnered millions of fans and spawned the hit HBO television show TrueBlood. It also stoked a hunger that will never die . . . a hunger to know what happened next.
With characters arranged alphabetically – from Ancient Pythoness to Bethany Zanelli – bestselling author Charlaine Harris takes her readers into the future of their favorite residents of Bon Temps and environs. If you’d like to learn how Michele and Jason’s marriage fared, what happened to Sookie’s cousin Hunter, and whether Tara and JB’s twins grew up to be solid citizens, this is the book for you.
Charlaine Harris will even reveal the details of Sookie’s own happily-ever-after . . . !
Rating: ** (2 stars)
In AFTER DEAD Charlaine Harris wraps up the unanswered questions in her SOOKIE STACKHOUSE/SOUTHERN VAMPIRE MYSTERIES series. Beginning with A and ending with Z, Harris relates what happens to the characters in her series once the events of DEAD EVER AFTER (review) ended.
I was quite excited to get my hands on this book, as I was told that it would reveal what happened next to all my favourite characters in Harris’ SOUTHERN VAMPIRE MYSTERIES. Whilst AFTER DEAD does exactly what it says on the tin, I was left desperately disappointed with this book. It felt more to me like Harris was trying to sell her new series to her old fans, than a final hoo-ha and leave-taking to a much-loved series.
Harris does include the stories of a lot of the minor characters in the book – we find out how Warren fared, for example. However, quite a lot of the time it’s only a sentence or two. Even some of the more major characters are lucky to have a page devoted to their futures. Sookie herself only gets three and a half pages of text. This in itself wouldn’t be too bad, but I frequently felt that the futures Harris reveals were ignoble – a disservice to the author herself, and the brilliant series she had created.
Fans of the series are going to want to get hold of a copy of this book, but to be honest if you can I would hold off until this book comes out in paperback or I would get the ebook. AFTER DEAD was a really nice idea, but the execution left me disappointed.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @KelleyArmstrong: For those signed copies of Visions at @ForbiddenPlanet you can also order them online: forbiddenplanet.com/124388-visions… 3 hours ago
- RT @KelleyArmstrong: Great event at Forbidden Planet last night! Thanks to all who came out! Left signed stock behind (London Megastore) Vi… 3 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Try a @EverardsTiger Minikeg this Bank Holiday and get 2 FREE Tiger branded goblet glasses tinyurl.com/lud6xgk http… 3 hours ago
- RT @rickoshea: Well hello #FireSermon :-) Thanks @Katiemorwenna http://t.co/qZu4RtsqzA 6 hours ago
- RT @BloomsburyBooks: Have you seen the #HarryPotterBooks hardback boxed set artwork by @duddledum yet? bit.ly/1BF7kUo http://t.co/9… 8 hours ago
- RT @HarperCollinsCh: Good luck to everyone getting their #gcseresults today! 9 hours ago
- Review: Shadowlark by Meagan Spooner bloglovin.com/blog/post/6017… on @bloglovin 10 hours ago
- Review: Shadowlark by Meagan Spooner - Review: Shadowlark by Meagan Spooner Shadowlark by Meagan Spooner... tmblr.co/Zv_19w1OpYPrK 10 hours ago
- RT @boutofbooks: Bout of Books 11 Day 4 ift.tt/1q1LRyT #boutofbooks 11 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.