Review: After Dead by Charlaine Harris
Title: After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse (Southern Vampire Mysteries #13.5)
Author: Charlaine Harris
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Gollancz (31st October 2013)
Dead Ever After marked the end of the Sookie Stackhouse novels – a series that garnered millions of fans and spawned the hit HBO television show TrueBlood. It also stoked a hunger that will never die . . . a hunger to know what happened next.
With characters arranged alphabetically – from Ancient Pythoness to Bethany Zanelli – bestselling author Charlaine Harris takes her readers into the future of their favorite residents of Bon Temps and environs. If you’d like to learn how Michele and Jason’s marriage fared, what happened to Sookie’s cousin Hunter, and whether Tara and JB’s twins grew up to be solid citizens, this is the book for you.
Charlaine Harris will even reveal the details of Sookie’s own happily-ever-after . . . !
Rating: ** (2 stars)
In AFTER DEAD Charlaine Harris wraps up the unanswered questions in her SOOKIE STACKHOUSE/SOUTHERN VAMPIRE MYSTERIES series. Beginning with A and ending with Z, Harris relates what happens to the characters in her series once the events of DEAD EVER AFTER (review) ended.
I was quite excited to get my hands on this book, as I was told that it would reveal what happened next to all my favourite characters in Harris’ SOUTHERN VAMPIRE MYSTERIES. Whilst AFTER DEAD does exactly what it says on the tin, I was left desperately disappointed with this book. It felt more to me like Harris was trying to sell her new series to her old fans, than a final hoo-ha and leave-taking to a much-loved series.
Harris does include the stories of a lot of the minor characters in the book – we find out how Warren fared, for example. However, quite a lot of the time it’s only a sentence or two. Even some of the more major characters are lucky to have a page devoted to their futures. Sookie herself only gets three and a half pages of text. This in itself wouldn’t be too bad, but I frequently felt that the futures Harris reveals were ignoble – a disservice to the author herself, and the brilliant series she had created.
Fans of the series are going to want to get hold of a copy of this book, but to be honest if you can I would hold off until this book comes out in paperback or I would get the ebook. AFTER DEAD was a really nice idea, but the execution left me disappointed.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is currently tentatively interested in receiving books for review as she has nearly reached the bottom of her TBR (for the moment). The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @hodderscape: 30 #ThoseAbove proofs up for grabs! Go! Go! Go! goodreads.com/giveaway/show/… http://t.co/xqLEclqOXl 3 hours ago
- RT @DelReyUK: Ok, who's up for some #freebiefriday fun? We've got 3 super #giveaways on the way. Make sure you're following @DelReyUK for a… 3 hours ago
- RT @PWKidsBookshelf: RT @TelegraphBooks "You don't need princes to save you". @neilhimself spoke to us about the power of fairytales http:/… 3 hours ago
- RT @whatSFSaid: #bookadayuk I wish there was a sequel to The Amber Spyglass... ...OH WAIT, THERE IS, AND @PhilipPullman IS WRITING IT RIGH… 3 hours ago
- RT @NicholasPegg: Want to see a bewildered dog surrounded by otters? Of course you do. http://t.co/eowhTw45pB 3 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Tigers will be in all green at London Welsh this Sunday #fridayfashionadvice http://t.co/AskGx3cSFz 4 hours ago
- RT @OneRoundPanda: A sequel I wish for? One to The Coldest Girl In Cold Town by @hollyblack would be wonderful! #bookadayuk 4 hours ago
- RT @JUST_SMlLE: Harry Potter fans: I wanna go to Hogwarts. Narnia fans: I wanna go to Narnia. Hunger Games fans: Nope I'm good. 5 hours ago
- RT @yalc_uk: Update on #YALC 2015: no news yet, but we're working our socks off to try and make YALC happen again next year. Keep watching … 5 hours ago
- RT @thebookseller: Bloomsbury and Walker Books named as influential children's publishers in China: thebookseller.com/news/bloomsbur… 5 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.