Review: After Dead by Charlaine Harris
Title: After Dead: What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse (Southern Vampire Mysteries #13.5)
Author: Charlaine Harris
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Gollancz (31st October 2013)
Dead Ever After marked the end of the Sookie Stackhouse novels – a series that garnered millions of fans and spawned the hit HBO television show TrueBlood. It also stoked a hunger that will never die . . . a hunger to know what happened next.
With characters arranged alphabetically – from Ancient Pythoness to Bethany Zanelli – bestselling author Charlaine Harris takes her readers into the future of their favorite residents of Bon Temps and environs. If you’d like to learn how Michele and Jason’s marriage fared, what happened to Sookie’s cousin Hunter, and whether Tara and JB’s twins grew up to be solid citizens, this is the book for you.
Charlaine Harris will even reveal the details of Sookie’s own happily-ever-after . . . !
Rating: ** (2 stars)
In AFTER DEAD Charlaine Harris wraps up the unanswered questions in her SOOKIE STACKHOUSE/SOUTHERN VAMPIRE MYSTERIES series. Beginning with A and ending with Z, Harris relates what happens to the characters in her series once the events of DEAD EVER AFTER (review) ended.
I was quite excited to get my hands on this book, as I was told that it would reveal what happened next to all my favourite characters in Harris’ SOUTHERN VAMPIRE MYSTERIES. Whilst AFTER DEAD does exactly what it says on the tin, I was left desperately disappointed with this book. It felt more to me like Harris was trying to sell her new series to her old fans, than a final hoo-ha and leave-taking to a much-loved series.
Harris does include the stories of a lot of the minor characters in the book – we find out how Warren fared, for example. However, quite a lot of the time it’s only a sentence or two. Even some of the more major characters are lucky to have a page devoted to their futures. Sookie herself only gets three and a half pages of text. This in itself wouldn’t be too bad, but I frequently felt that the futures Harris reveals were ignoble – a disservice to the author herself, and the brilliant series she had created.
Fans of the series are going to want to get hold of a copy of this book, but to be honest if you can I would hold off until this book comes out in paperback or I would get the ebook. AFTER DEAD was a really nice idea, but the execution left me disappointed.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @lindapoitevin: Dear Reader: feel free to like/dislike my books and/or review them as you see fit. Because that's how it's supposed to w… 2 hours ago
- RT @Loopy_Lu_: In light of the "Hale incident" can we please take a moment to thank the many authors who are lovely, polite and take critic… 2 hours ago
- RT @NinjaBookSwap: If you don't know what a #ninjabookswap is but would like to check out theninjabookswap.blogspot.co.uk :-) 2 hours ago
- RT @Benji_Davies: Just squeezed in this Storm Whale artwork for @Willow_Fdn Stars on Canvas project. facebook.com/benjidaviesdra… http://t.co/Cx… 16 hours ago
- Sad I'm going to miss @MCMExpo: MCM #London Comic Con this year. Hope everyone going has a great time. 16 hours ago
- RT @MCMExpo: New anime movie #Appleseed Alpha to be screened at MCM #London Comic Con: mcmcomiccon.com/london/2014/10… #mcmLDN14 http://t.co/xy4KtHS… 16 hours ago
- RT @hodderchildrens: Huge congrats to our Dragonese expert @CressidaCowell for #IncompleteBookofDragons' nomination for @CILIPCKG! #CKG15 h… 16 hours ago
- RT @booksaremybag: "That's what Hermione does. When in doubt, go to the library." - Ron Weasley #bookadayuk 16 hours ago
- RT @ClarenceHouse: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are expecting their baby in April 2015. Read the announcement on TRH's website: http:/… 16 hours ago
- RT @arrivamidlandsE: Hinckley Vintage Fair - Sunday 16 Nov 2014, 10am-4pm at the The Meeting Centre (behind the Leisure Centre),... http://… 16 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.