Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
Title: Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy #1)
Author: Kiersten White
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Harper Collins (date)
Evie’s always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shapeshifter and she’s the only person who can see through paranormal’s galmours, but stil. Normal.
Only now Paranormals are dying and Evie’s dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She begins to suspect there is a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths, and even worse, that she is a the centre of a dark prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.
Rating: *** (3 stars)
Paranormalcy is the first book in Kiersten White’s Paranormalcy trilogy. It tells the story of Evie, who thinks she is as ‘normal’ as every other human being – except for being able to see through paranormal’s glamours .
I am really not sure what I think of this book. It is certainly one of the most unusual books that I have read in this genre before. I’m just not sure if I like it, or not. It is a very interesting and enthralling read watching the plot unravel. The story is very compelling – once started I couldn’t put the book down. And yet, there was something quite predictable to it.
I thought Evie is a really interesting and compelling character. In many ways she is a pretty normal teenager who likes pink and is home schooled.What she knows about American high schools is from TV shows – which is actually pretty much what I know, not being American. I found her really likable as a character. I particularly liked the fact that she refers to her Taser as ‘Tasey’. The secondary characters were interesting. It was difficult at times to tell who to trust, but that just added to the tension.
The plot of the book is quite convoluted, so I was always left wanting to know what was going to happen next and how everything was going to link together. A lot of questions were answered in this book, but White has left some open ended as this is the first book in her trilogy. I’m really curious to know where White plans to go from the events of Paranormalcy.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @ProjectUKYA: Goooood morning all! I hope you all had a lovely #WorldBookDay! Very exciting post coming this morning which I know you'll… 45 minutes ago
- RT @crookedcatbooks: We're delighted to announce that we signed author @EmmaMooney21 yesterday. THE BEAUTIFUL GAME released later in 2014. … 45 minutes ago
- RT @empiremagazine: Idris Elba will be voicing Shere Khan for Jon Favreau's new Jungle Book: goo.gl/N5oHSC http://t.co/tYOp3zBxzO 46 minutes ago
- @Emily__Guido thanks for tweeting my review :) 5 hours ago
- RT @kierstenwhite: SHAMELESS, AWFUL TEASE TIME: I have read @naturallysteph's ISLA AND THE HAPPILY EVER AFTER. It is amazing. And out Augus… 5 hours ago
- RT @hayleymfrancis: #poem number two of my Lent-y, poetry-y thing: thewritinghourandten.wordpress.com http://t.co/wg6pnDsWQk 10 hours ago
- RT @BookLikes: If you love #ebooks, you need to sync your BookLikes with your #Kindle! We'll tell your how blog.booklikes.com/post/814194/sy… http://t.… 10 hours ago
- RT @lostteddybear: A lot of things got left behind at the Girl Guides Thinking Day at Alexandra Palace, including some teddy bears! https:/… 10 hours ago
- RT @aimeefleck: attn twitter @rainbowrowell is a monster she encouraged me to start reading a hp au equal in length to reading GoF EIGHTEEN… 10 hours ago
- Mum wants flowers for Mother's Day... This should be fun >.> 11 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.