Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Title: Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Genre: Sword and Sorcery, Young Adult
Publisher: Bloomsbury (2nd August 2012)
MEET CELAENA SARDOTHIEN.
DESTINED FOR GREATNESS.
In the dark, filthy mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake. She got caught.
Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament – fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?
Rating: **** (4 stars)
Throne of Glass is Sarah J. Maas’s brilliant debut novel. In it we are told the story of Celaena Sardothien, an assassin, who is offered the chance of earning her freedom by entering in a tournament that could mean her death.
I had heard great things about this book through the blogosphere, though I tried to steer clear of the reviews. The one thing that really caught my attention about the book was that it was originally published on FictionPress.com – and I really admired the fact that Maas makes no attempt to hide this, and indeed thanks her fans and friends on the site.
Throne of Glass is a brilliant example of a Young Adult sword and sorcery tale with a female protagonist. The story is told through third person narration, thus allowing the reader to know things at times that Celaena does not. This form of narration really worked, as it allows readers into the head-space of other characters so we can know them better.
The world in Throne of Glass is an interesting one. It is quite a dark place, where magic has been wiped out and countries have been brutally conquered. In fact, when the story starts Adarlan is in the process of conquering another country. The characters in this world are vivid and come alive on the page. Celaena is an interesting protagonist, and I found it very easy to relate to her. She is very sure of herself, and she is very driven. Maas does a brilliant job with the secondary characters too.
Throne of Glass is a brilliant read. If you’ve enjoyed Tamora Pierce’s Tortall series, then you should definitely try this book. I look forward to reading future books in this series.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is currently tentatively interested in receiving books for review as she has nearly reached the bottom of her TBR (for the moment). The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @JemIssitt: Derby day @LeicesterTigers @LVRugby #COYT #tigersfamily http://t.co/l7TAEWAsgn 1 hour ago
- Still feel awful, but hopefully feel okay enough to get blog sorted this weekend and to catch-up with blog stuffs. #fingerscrossed 4 hours ago
- RT @Tortall_Fans: “Threats are the last resort of a man with no vocabulary.” 4 hours ago
- RT @KidsBloomsbury: It's just SIX days until #HarryPotterBookNight! Send us your prep photos & refer a friend to #win a hardback box set ht… 10 hours ago
- RT @booknerdcanada: RT this if you also have no idea what to say to authors when you meet them in person. I just babble about random things… 1 day ago
- RT @veschwab: If you want a SIGNED copy of A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC, or any of my books, @transrealshop can help! 1 day ago
- RT @JessHeartsBooks: The best feeling is when exactly the right book comes along at exactly the right time. I think as avid readers that's … 1 day ago
- RT @BBCBreakfast: An earthquake measuring 3.8 in magnitude has been recorded in the East Midlands overnight! bbc.in/1LjGxSu http://… 2 days ago
- RT @ColitisNinja: #ILostSleepBecause of #IBD. Ulcerative Colitis & Crohn's Disease are rough! 2 days ago
- RT @hollyblack: pellmellxx said: Not too long ago I read something you wrote that I can't seem to find now. It was a bunch... http://t.co/c… 3 days ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.