Review: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Title: Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Genre: Sword and Sorcery, Young Adult
Publisher: Bloomsbury (2nd August 2012)
MEET CELAENA SARDOTHIEN.
DESTINED FOR GREATNESS.
In the dark, filthy mines of Endovier, an eighteen-year-old girl is serving a life sentence. She is a trained assassin, the best of her kind, but she made a fatal mistake. She got caught.
Young Captain Westfall offers her a deal: her freedom in return for one huge sacrifice. Celaena must represent the prince in a to-the-death tournament – fighting the most gifted thieves and assassins in the land. Live or die, Celaena will be free. Win or lose, she is about to discover her true destiny. But will her assassin’s heart be melted?
Rating: **** (4 stars)
Throne of Glass is Sarah J. Maas’s brilliant debut novel. In it we are told the story of Celaena Sardothien, an assassin, who is offered the chance of earning her freedom by entering in a tournament that could mean her death.
I had heard great things about this book through the blogosphere, though I tried to steer clear of the reviews. The one thing that really caught my attention about the book was that it was originally published on FictionPress.com – and I really admired the fact that Maas makes no attempt to hide this, and indeed thanks her fans and friends on the site.
Throne of Glass is a brilliant example of a Young Adult sword and sorcery tale with a female protagonist. The story is told through third person narration, thus allowing the reader to know things at times that Celaena does not. This form of narration really worked, as it allows readers into the head-space of other characters so we can know them better.
The world in Throne of Glass is an interesting one. It is quite a dark place, where magic has been wiped out and countries have been brutally conquered. In fact, when the story starts Adarlan is in the process of conquering another country. The characters in this world are vivid and come alive on the page. Celaena is an interesting protagonist, and I found it very easy to relate to her. She is very sure of herself, and she is very driven. Maas does a brilliant job with the secondary characters too.
Throne of Glass is a brilliant read. If you’ve enjoyed Tamora Pierce’s Tortall series, then you should definitely try this book. I look forward to reading future books in this series.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @MIRAInk: Hey @Jkagawa fans! THE FOREVER SONG is currently 99p in the Kindle summer sale amzn.to/1on59PT 2 hours ago
- RT @Ltd_To_Two: Before Google & the internet, we had books, 1,000,000,000's of books Bibliothèque, Trinity College, Dublin, #IRELAND http:… 2 hours ago
- RT @Darrencannan: Wanted, alive & well, one much loved toy monkey called Jimmy. Last seen on the Aldridge Rd in #GreatBarr #Brum pls RT htt… 2 hours ago
- RT @Hambofoundation: Get your tickets now to collect on the gate as there is no admission on the day http://t.co/xw3zNEblLN 2 hours ago
- RT @BBookLBook: "An incredibly cute romantic story that will make you feel a whirl of emotions before settling on eventual happiness" http:… 2 hours ago
- RT @LizUK: My superstar agent @mushenska is running a course with the Guardian on how to become an agent. bit.ly/1t7qf7R - places a… 3 hours ago
- RT @willgreen19: "Agents of SHIELD Announces New Characters" feedly.com/e/0Jk9OWrP 7 hours ago
- RT @RichelleMead: For those asking, the Jeopardy question is posted on my FB page: facebook.com/richellemeadfa… 7 hours ago
- RT @Iearnsomething: This is what a lighthouse in Porto, Portugal looks like. http://t.co/eJfQf3JPZi 12 hours ago
- RT @EMTrains: Stay safe this summer, don't take short cuts across the railway, watch this @networkrail video: emt.do/zzbmH 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.