Review: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Penguin USA (4th August 2011)
Can Anna find love in the City of Light?
Anna is happy in Atlanta. She has a loyal best friend and a crush on her coworker at the movie theater, who is just starting to return her affection. So she’s not too pleased when her father decides to send her to a boarding school in Paris for her senior year. But despite not speaking a word of French, Anna meets some cool new friends, including a handsome Étienne St. Clair, who quickly becomes her best friend. Unfortunately he’s taken – and Anna might be, too. Will a year of romantic near misses end with the French kiss she’s been waiting for?
Rating: ***** (5 stars)
Anna and the French Kiss tells the story of Anna Oliphant; an American teenager sent to Paris by her father to go to boarding school for her senior year. Stephanie Perkins relates a brilliant tale of contemporary romance for Young Adult readers in this book.
Romance is generally a genre I stay clear of, but I’d been hearing such glowing reviews of Anna and the French Kiss on the blogosphere that I had to pick up the book: it blew me away. To my surprise and joy, in Perkin’s Anna and the French Kiss I have found a romance that is readable and enjoyable, and actually elicited reactions from me – not including putting the book down, and walking away. At points it quite literally made me LOL. For real!
I really enjoyed having Anna as the protagonist and narrator of the book. I found her to be a very likeable and realistic character. I also enjoyed the fact that she went to Paris knowing no French – she’d only taken Spanish up to this point – so it was very much starting afresh for her. Perkins did a brilliant job with the secondary cast of characters, particularly Anna’s friends Bridgette, Rashmi, Josh, Meredith, and Étienne.
This book isn’t just about romance, it’s a book about growing up and becoming your own person too. Anna really grows as a character as the book progresses, and I really loved seeing her change and grow.
I highly recommend this book, even if romance isn’t really your thing – this book may surprise you, like it did me.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
The Flutterby Room is on hiatus throughout the month of March 2015.
- Job hunting would probably be going better if I had a clue what I was doing #WhyDoTheyNotTeachThis 46 minutes ago
- Mentally feel super ready to do things (like job hunt). Physically not so much. Meh. Really would like a week or so of feeling normal. #ibd 1 hour ago
- RT @ChelleyToy: How's everyone getting on reading Northern Lights for the #HDMreadalong ? Let me know #northernlights20 http://t.co/HzRLuZN… 10 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: LV= Cup semi-final tickets on sale now, priced from just £15 adults, £5 juniors, £35 family tinyurl.com/oyovp76 10 hours ago
- @internethugs thanks for the hug. *hugs* 14 hours ago
- RT @BBCTheArchers: Thanks to @BeccyWood83 for the Ambridge Forecast. Warning to motorists - avoid the Borsetshire area http://t.co/BYpGDeKK… 14 hours ago
- RT @KarenMcCombie: Spotted this in @guardian G2 today #fnar @WorldBookDayUK http://t.co/5JJKHEQPjv 15 hours ago
- RT @LadyHawkins: I like when Tumblr/the internet makes me ship something from a movie I haven't even SEEN yet. It's kind of magical. 19 hours ago
- RT @qwertee: "Magical Meeting" is today's tee on Qwertee.com ReTweet for a chance at a FREE TEE! http://t.co/XqXFUbZ7NM 1 day ago
- RT @qwertee: "Heart of a Chief, Soul of a Dragon" is today's tee on Qwertee.com ReTweet for a chance at a FREE TEE! http://t.co/… 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.