Review: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Title: Anna and the French Kiss
Author: Stephanie Perkins
Genre: Contemporary, Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Penguin USA (4th August 2011)
Can Anna find love in the City of Light?
Anna is happy in Atlanta. She has a loyal best friend and a crush on her coworker at the movie theater, who is just starting to return her affection. So she’s not too pleased when her father decides to send her to a boarding school in Paris for her senior year. But despite not speaking a word of French, Anna meets some cool new friends, including a handsome Étienne St. Clair, who quickly becomes her best friend. Unfortunately he’s taken – and Anna might be, too. Will a year of romantic near misses end with the French kiss she’s been waiting for?
Rating: ***** (5 stars)
Anna and the French Kiss tells the story of Anna Oliphant; an American teenager sent to Paris by her father to go to boarding school for her senior year. Stephanie Perkins relates a brilliant tale of contemporary romance for Young Adult readers in this book.
Romance is generally a genre I stay clear of, but I’d been hearing such glowing reviews of Anna and the French Kiss on the blogosphere that I had to pick up the book: it blew me away. To my surprise and joy, in Perkin’s Anna and the French Kiss I have found a romance that is readable and enjoyable, and actually elicited reactions from me – not including putting the book down, and walking away. At points it quite literally made me LOL. For real!
I really enjoyed having Anna as the protagonist and narrator of the book. I found her to be a very likeable and realistic character. I also enjoyed the fact that she went to Paris knowing no French – she’d only taken Spanish up to this point – so it was very much starting afresh for her. Perkins did a brilliant job with the secondary cast of characters, particularly Anna’s friends Bridgette, Rashmi, Josh, Meredith, and Étienne.
This book isn’t just about romance, it’s a book about growing up and becoming your own person too. Anna really grows as a character as the book progresses, and I really loved seeing her change and grow.
I highly recommend this book, even if romance isn’t really your thing – this book may surprise you, like it did me.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @harperteen: Trying to find a book to read this summer? @EpicReads has a quiz for that. epicreads.com/blog/quiz-what… http://t.co/A6FY3glyMq 10 hours ago
- RT @HMHKids: Just a suggestion. #booklove #bookstagram #read instagram.com/p/qw7A6NhWU8/ 10 hours ago
- RT @bookswithacuppa: Getting ready for tomorrow's #NTFG readalong! *bounces* You can still join us! booksbiscuitsandtea.co.uk/posts/no-time-… @orion_crime htt… 10 hours ago
- RT @Iearnsomething: This is what the wildfires in Leavenworth, WA look like. http://t.co/Uny7Lzv346 11 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Win tickets to Tigers' @premrugby 7s leg on Sat, Aug 2 at Darlington. Use #WeLove7s and tell us why you love 7s for a … 13 hours ago
- RT @SummersTale: .@LKHamilton I can picture Anita grabbing me &I would find myself loved for who I was no matter who slept in my bed.💜 http… 13 hours ago
- RT @CassietheWeird: Only a few days left! Win a signed arc of TALON and a custom dragon figurine by @jkagawa juliekagawa.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/dragon… 13 hours ago
- RT @sarahmedway: "Life" size statues of Paddington Bear around London - The Paddington Trail sounds magnificent: bit.ly/1wVtWuV 14 hours ago
- RT @letour: Happy Birthday Prince George ! 🇬🇧 @letouryorkshire http://t.co/g8Ie4GFfe4 15 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: The pitch gets a cut as the stage takes shape for the @LeicesterMF #lmf leicestertigers.com/tickets/lmf.php http://t.co/ZmpFOH2Lr8 17 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.