Review: Destined by P.C. and Kristin Cast
As this is the ninth book in the series it may be possible that this review will contain spoilers for previous books in the House of Night series.
Title: Destined (House of Night, #9)
Author: P.C. and Kristin Cast
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Atom (28th June 2012)
‘Zoey, what is it?’ Stark said softly. I didn’t answer Stark. Instead I faced Neferet. Somewhere in the back of my mind I could hear the buzz and the whispers of the kids around me, and I knew forcing a confrontation with Neferet here and now wasn’t smart. But I couldn’t stop myself . . .
Zoey is finally home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side, and preparing to face off against Neferet – which would be a whole lot easier if the High Counsel saw the ex-High Priestess for what she really is.
But there are new forces at work at the House of Night. An influx of humans threatens its precarious stability. And then there’s the mysterious Aurox, a jaw-droppingly gorgeous boy who is actually more – or possibly less – than human. Only Zoey can sense the human compassion that wars with his Dark calling. Will Neferet’s true nature be revealed before she succeeds in silencing them all? And will Zoey be able to touch Aurox’s humanity in time to protect him – and everyone – from his own fate?
Rating: **** (4 stars)
Destined is the ninth book in the House of Night series by P.C. and Kristin Cast. The story of Zoey and her friends/circle continues as they struggle against the forces of darkness.
There is actually quite a lot going on this book, and whilst it does follow the pattern of previous books – the major plot action happening towards the end of the book – it feels like a natural progression. The narration of the book switches around a lot, so there are a lot of different point of views offered and as readers we get to know things that the characters don’t, which is typical of the series. The multiple narration really worked to further the plot, though I would have liked to hear more from Shaunee and Lenobia – hopefully there will be more in later books, though Lenobia will have her own book/novella. This is a great ninth book, though I am glad that P.C. Cast has said on her blog that this will be a twelve book series (at least according to Wikipedia, and we know how reliable they can be).
I think Zoey and the gang start to change and (hopefully) mature in this book. Aphrodite was her usual brilliant self in this book – she is definitely one of my favourite characters in the series. Zoey did a good job of holding it – herself, and everyone else – together. She’s still incredibly blind about some things and scarily perceptive about others. Neferet is definitely scary in this book and Aurox is definitely one to watch – he is a little conflicted, the why was explained at the end of book eight so I don’t really think it’s a spoiler.
The ending of this book really blew me away. It was very poignant, and does a great job at setting up book ten. Speaking of which, I really look forward to reading it. Destined, for me, really brought the spark back to the House of Night series. I look forward to reading book then.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- Have combined Weds and Thurs updates as did nada on Weds. Will post it after I've been to bed. On that note, night all. #boutofbooks #night 3 hours ago
- Can't believe I'm still up... On the plus side I finished one book today and started and finished another! Yay! #boutofbooks 3 hours ago
- RT @EpicReads: Missed #ARCparty yesterday? (We missed YOU!) Catch the replay now! bit.ly/1pQyzWS http://t.co/sVsUt1s5l7 3 hours ago
- RT @MacmillanKidsUK: Ready for the launch of @Candy_Guard 's fantastic Turning to Jelly! http://t.co/PLuiTyVa06 10 hours ago
- RT @KelleyArmstrong: For those signed copies of Visions at @ForbiddenPlanet you can also order them online: forbiddenplanet.com/124388-visions… 12 hours ago
- RT @KelleyArmstrong: Great event at Forbidden Planet last night! Thanks to all who came out! Left signed stock behind (London Megastore) Vi… 12 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Try a @EverardsTiger Minikeg this Bank Holiday and get 2 FREE Tiger branded goblet glasses tinyurl.com/lud6xgk http… 13 hours ago
- RT @rickoshea: Well hello #FireSermon :-) Thanks @Katiemorwenna http://t.co/qZu4RtsqzA 16 hours ago
- RT @BloomsburyBooks: Have you seen the #HarryPotterBooks hardback boxed set artwork by @duddledum yet? bit.ly/1BF7kUo http://t.co/9… 18 hours ago
- RT @HarperCollinsCh: Good luck to everyone getting their #gcseresults today! 18 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.