Review: Destined by P.C. and Kristin Cast
As this is the ninth book in the series it may be possible that this review will contain spoilers for previous books in the House of Night series.
Title: Destined (House of Night, #9)
Author: P.C. and Kristin Cast
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Atom (28th June 2012)
‘Zoey, what is it?’ Stark said softly. I didn’t answer Stark. Instead I faced Neferet. Somewhere in the back of my mind I could hear the buzz and the whispers of the kids around me, and I knew forcing a confrontation with Neferet here and now wasn’t smart. But I couldn’t stop myself . . .
Zoey is finally home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side, and preparing to face off against Neferet – which would be a whole lot easier if the High Counsel saw the ex-High Priestess for what she really is.
But there are new forces at work at the House of Night. An influx of humans threatens its precarious stability. And then there’s the mysterious Aurox, a jaw-droppingly gorgeous boy who is actually more – or possibly less – than human. Only Zoey can sense the human compassion that wars with his Dark calling. Will Neferet’s true nature be revealed before she succeeds in silencing them all? And will Zoey be able to touch Aurox’s humanity in time to protect him – and everyone – from his own fate?
Rating: **** (4 stars)
Destined is the ninth book in the House of Night series by P.C. and Kristin Cast. The story of Zoey and her friends/circle continues as they struggle against the forces of darkness.
There is actually quite a lot going on this book, and whilst it does follow the pattern of previous books – the major plot action happening towards the end of the book – it feels like a natural progression. The narration of the book switches around a lot, so there are a lot of different point of views offered and as readers we get to know things that the characters don’t, which is typical of the series. The multiple narration really worked to further the plot, though I would have liked to hear more from Shaunee and Lenobia – hopefully there will be more in later books, though Lenobia will have her own book/novella. This is a great ninth book, though I am glad that P.C. Cast has said on her blog that this will be a twelve book series (at least according to Wikipedia, and we know how reliable they can be).
I think Zoey and the gang start to change and (hopefully) mature in this book. Aphrodite was her usual brilliant self in this book – she is definitely one of my favourite characters in the series. Zoey did a good job of holding it – herself, and everyone else – together. She’s still incredibly blind about some things and scarily perceptive about others. Neferet is definitely scary in this book and Aurox is definitely one to watch – he is a little conflicted, the why was explained at the end of book eight so I don’t really think it’s a spoiler.
The ending of this book really blew me away. It was very poignant, and does a great job at setting up book ten. Speaking of which, I really look forward to reading it. Destined, for me, really brought the spark back to the House of Night series. I look forward to reading book then.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
The Flutterby Room is on hiatus throughout the month of March 2015.
- My weekend haul. Catching up on the books I missed. #bookhaul #bookstagram #bookblogger instagram.com/p/08p0z1EGkI/ 5 hours ago
- RT @TAA_Editor: On the upside, glad the new books by @emmachichesterc are coming stateside-@lisabrowndraws @saraoleary #kidlitchat http://t… 15 hours ago
- RT @LCecilLitAgency: Great to see @emmachichesterc's #AliceinWonderland at the entrance to #BolognaBookFair http://t.co/Sc7H5eIr4H 15 hours ago
- I was going to nip out and grab lunch, but the rain/hail is pouring down. #greattiming #typical 15 hours ago
- RT @HotKeyBooks: Book bloggers & BookTubers, we're adding reviewers to our list. Read more here: bit.ly/1G4KrOq (We promise it's no… 15 hours ago
- RT @TheBookRat: FAIRY TALE FORTNIGHT 2015 WELCOME & SCHEDULE!: IT'S TIME!If you're new to Fairy Tale Fortnight (or FTF), basic... http://t.… 19 hours ago
- Read Temeraire and loved it, but am strangely reluctant to read second book in the series. #weird #bookbloggerconfessions 1 day ago
- *watches people running past screaming* *is glad she is inside* 1 day ago
- Oh, I should probably take a snap of the books that arrived yesterday. But write review first, I think. 1 day ago
- And the downpours start again... Thankfully I'm not out in it this time. 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.