Review: Destined by P.C. and Kristin Cast
As this is the ninth book in the series it may be possible that this review will contain spoilers for previous books in the House of Night series.
Title: Destined (House of Night, #9)
Author: P.C. and Kristin Cast
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Atom (28th June 2012)
‘Zoey, what is it?’ Stark said softly. I didn’t answer Stark. Instead I faced Neferet. Somewhere in the back of my mind I could hear the buzz and the whispers of the kids around me, and I knew forcing a confrontation with Neferet here and now wasn’t smart. But I couldn’t stop myself . . .
Zoey is finally home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side, and preparing to face off against Neferet – which would be a whole lot easier if the High Counsel saw the ex-High Priestess for what she really is.
But there are new forces at work at the House of Night. An influx of humans threatens its precarious stability. And then there’s the mysterious Aurox, a jaw-droppingly gorgeous boy who is actually more – or possibly less – than human. Only Zoey can sense the human compassion that wars with his Dark calling. Will Neferet’s true nature be revealed before she succeeds in silencing them all? And will Zoey be able to touch Aurox’s humanity in time to protect him – and everyone – from his own fate?
Rating: **** (4 stars)
Destined is the ninth book in the House of Night series by P.C. and Kristin Cast. The story of Zoey and her friends/circle continues as they struggle against the forces of darkness.
There is actually quite a lot going on this book, and whilst it does follow the pattern of previous books – the major plot action happening towards the end of the book – it feels like a natural progression. The narration of the book switches around a lot, so there are a lot of different point of views offered and as readers we get to know things that the characters don’t, which is typical of the series. The multiple narration really worked to further the plot, though I would have liked to hear more from Shaunee and Lenobia – hopefully there will be more in later books, though Lenobia will have her own book/novella. This is a great ninth book, though I am glad that P.C. Cast has said on her blog that this will be a twelve book series (at least according to Wikipedia, and we know how reliable they can be).
I think Zoey and the gang start to change and (hopefully) mature in this book. Aphrodite was her usual brilliant self in this book – she is definitely one of my favourite characters in the series. Zoey did a good job of holding it – herself, and everyone else – together. She’s still incredibly blind about some things and scarily perceptive about others. Neferet is definitely scary in this book and Aurox is definitely one to watch – he is a little conflicted, the why was explained at the end of book eight so I don’t really think it’s a spoiler.
The ending of this book really blew me away. It was very poignant, and does a great job at setting up book ten. Speaking of which, I really look forward to reading it. Destined, for me, really brought the spark back to the House of Night series. I look forward to reading book then.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
I've recently completed my English MA with the Open University which I'm really pleased about. I'm a long-time bookaholic and chocolate fan.
You can find out more about me here.
If you have a book you'd like me to consider for review, then please have a look at my review policy.
- LOL. Bad = bad, should have read bed = bad, but you know same thing #shrugs 7 hours ago
- Did I mention I am absolutely shattered despite doing nothing and lots of sleep?! Urgh! I don't know what to do with myself as bad = bad. 7 hours ago
- Sooo didn't do much today for various reasons...hopefully tomorrow will be better! 7 hours ago
- RT @AMBlanchard: Fierce Reads Interview by @jennadoesbooks and an awesome giveaway you definitely need to check out here: http://t.co/5chts… 15 hours ago
- Serendipity Reviews: Siege and Storm Blog Tour – The Order of Fabrikators & Giveaway UK/IRE only serendipityreviews.co.uk/2013/06/siege-… via @Serendipity_Viv 16 hours ago
- Win Shadow & Bone, Siege & Storm and More in a #Grisha Goodie Pack with @JessHeartsBooks (UK/Ireland only) jessheartsbooks.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/grisha… 16 hours ago
- RT @ironfey: Remember to support #TeamAsh in the #YACrushTourney on June 21. 16 hours ago
- @CJ_Daugherty one can hope!! 16 hours ago
- RT @CJ_Daugherty: Yay! Free phone charging in NYC. I'm sure Vodafone will do this in London. Right? RIGHT?? nytimes.com/2013/06/18/tec… 16 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Full time and Lions lose 100-per-cent record, Brumbies 14 Lions 12 16 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.