Review: Blood Promise by Richelle Mead
As this is the fourth book in the series it may be possible that this review will contain spoilers for previous books in the Vampire Academy series.
Title: Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)
Author: Richelle Mead
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: RazorBill (4th February 2010)
HOW FAR WILL ROSE GO TO KEEP HER PROMISE?
THE RECENT STRIGOI ATTACKS AT ST. VLADIMIR’S ACADEMY WAS THE DEADLIEST EVER IN THE SCHOOL’S HISTORY, CLAIMING THE LIVES OF MOROI STUDENTS, TEACHERS AND GUARDIANS ALIKE.
Even worse, the Strigoi took some of their victims with them . . . including Dimitri. He’d rather die than be one of them, and now Rose must abandon her best friend, Lissa – the one she has sworn to protect no matter what – and keep the promise Dimitri begged her to make long ago.
But with everything at stake, how can she possibly destroy the one person she loves most?
Rating: **** (4 stars)
Blood Promise is the fourth book in Richelle Mead’s fantastic Vampire Academy series. At the end of Shadow Kissed Rose made a difficult decision, and in Blood Promise we see her choice played out.
Blood Promise more than any book in the Vampire Academy series so far, focuses on Rose. It seems odd to say that seeing as Rose is the main character in the series, but whereas the books before this one had Rose interacting with her friends this one doesn’t have that luxury. We get to see Rose standing on her own two feet.
It took me a while to settle into this book, and as such Blood Promise isn’t really a straight four stars – it’s actually somewhere between three and four stars. I’m not totally sure why I didn’t connect straight away, why it was so difficult to fall back into the world. However, once I managed to settle into the book I devoured it – which is why I gave it four stars instead of three. When this book worked for me, it worked well.
As this book focused mainly on Rose it meant that we were introduced to some new characters – and I thought they were totally awesome! I also loved the fact that Mead allowed us little peaks so that we could see what was going on with Lissa, Adrian, and Christian.
It was also interesting seeing the first Strigoi we knew before they were changed. I think “interesting” just about covers everything of the experience – and I was totally glad I was NOT Rose. They were both very familiar, and yet scarily not.
Overall I really enjoyed this book, and I think it makes a great addition to the Vampire Academy series.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @Benji_Davies: Just squeezed in this Storm Whale artwork for @Willow_Fdn Stars on Canvas project. facebook.com/benjidaviesdra… http://t.co/Cx… 7 hours ago
- Sad I'm going to miss @MCMExpo: MCM #London Comic Con this year. Hope everyone going has a great time. 7 hours ago
- RT @MCMExpo: New anime movie #Appleseed Alpha to be screened at MCM #London Comic Con: mcmcomiccon.com/london/2014/10… #mcmLDN14 http://t.co/xy4KtHS… 8 hours ago
- RT @hodderchildrens: Huge congrats to our Dragonese expert @CressidaCowell for #IncompleteBookofDragons' nomination for @CILIPCKG! #CKG15 h… 8 hours ago
- RT @booksaremybag: "That's what Hermione does. When in doubt, go to the library." - Ron Weasley #bookadayuk 8 hours ago
- RT @ClarenceHouse: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are expecting their baby in April 2015. Read the announcement on TRH's website: http:/… 8 hours ago
- RT @arrivamidlandsE: Hinckley Vintage Fair - Sunday 16 Nov 2014, 10am-4pm at the The Meeting Centre (behind the Leisure Centre),... http://… 8 hours ago
- RT @CJ_Daugherty: RAGE. >> RT @BuzzFeedUK All the items of clothing women have been told not to wear in 2014. buzzfeed.com/rossalynwarren… … 8 hours ago
- RT @BBCr4today: Here's a gallery showing people and places, from the @BBCTwo series Human Universe bbc.in/ZCbflN 8 hours ago
- RT @Benji_Davies: On Sudden Hill has made the Greenaway nominations.. first time for me! hoorah!! Thank you @CILIPCKG @travelandsing @simon… 8 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.