Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Title: Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
Author: Veronica Roth
Genre: Dystopian, Young Adult
Publisher: HarperCollins (1st May 2012)
I HAVE DONE BAD THINGS. I CAN’T TAKE THEM BACK, AND THEY ARE PART OF WHO I AM.
Tris has survived a brutal attack on her former home and family. But she has paid a terrible price. Wracked by grief and guilt, she becomes even more reckless as she struggles to accept her new future.
Yet if Tris wants to uncover the truth about her world, she must be stronger than ever . . . because more shocking choices and sacrifices lie ahead.
Rating: ***** (5 stars)
Insurgent is the second book in Veronica Roth’s amazing Divergent series. We continue to follow Tris as she adapts – growing more reckless – from the events at the end of Divergent.
I REALLY enjoyed reading this book, and were it not for the fact that I needed to go to bed and then was ill, I would have easily read this within a day – I think I would have managed it within just twelve hours. Once started I found it really difficult to put down, and just tore through the five hundred and twenty-five pages. It really was a joy to read, which honestly surprised me because a) I seem to struggle with dystopian fiction and b) second books in series/trilogies are notoriously difficult.
In Insurgent we are reunited with Tris and Four. I have to say that I really enjoyed the way that their relationship evolved in this book – that it wasn’t always easy for them. I also loved them as individuals – despite all the time they spend together they are both fiercely independent (which at times causes friction). I think Roth created a very real and believable relationship. I also loved the way that Roth handled consequences in this book, and ideas about choice.
The plot of this book was a brilliant and exciting journey – there were loads of twist and turns along the way. And I will freely admit that the ending of the book took me by surprise, though I thought it was totally appropriate – even if it was a cliff-hanger. I’m really looking forward to the third and final (?) book in this series.
If you enjoyed Divergent then you will definitely enjoy this book. It is a brilliant read for fans of dystopian fiction, and even for those of us who aren’t totally convinced by the genre.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @MacmillanKidsUK: Ready for the launch of @Candy_Guard 's fantastic Turning to Jelly! http://t.co/PLuiTyVa06 2 hours ago
- RT @KelleyArmstrong: For those signed copies of Visions at @ForbiddenPlanet you can also order them online: forbiddenplanet.com/124388-visions… 5 hours ago
- RT @KelleyArmstrong: Great event at Forbidden Planet last night! Thanks to all who came out! Left signed stock behind (London Megastore) Vi… 5 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Try a @EverardsTiger Minikeg this Bank Holiday and get 2 FREE Tiger branded goblet glasses tinyurl.com/lud6xgk http… 5 hours ago
- RT @rickoshea: Well hello #FireSermon :-) Thanks @Katiemorwenna http://t.co/qZu4RtsqzA 8 hours ago
- RT @BloomsburyBooks: Have you seen the #HarryPotterBooks hardback boxed set artwork by @duddledum yet? bit.ly/1BF7kUo http://t.co/9… 10 hours ago
- RT @HarperCollinsCh: Good luck to everyone getting their #gcseresults today! 10 hours ago
- Review: Shadowlark by Meagan Spooner bloglovin.com/blog/post/6017… on @bloglovin 12 hours ago
- Review: Shadowlark by Meagan Spooner - Review: Shadowlark by Meagan Spooner Shadowlark by Meagan Spooner... tmblr.co/Zv_19w1OpYPrK 12 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.