Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Title: Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
Author: Veronica Roth
Genre: Dystopian, Young Adult
Publisher: HarperCollins (1st May 2012)
I HAVE DONE BAD THINGS. I CAN’T TAKE THEM BACK, AND THEY ARE PART OF WHO I AM.
Tris has survived a brutal attack on her former home and family. But she has paid a terrible price. Wracked by grief and guilt, she becomes even more reckless as she struggles to accept her new future.
Yet if Tris wants to uncover the truth about her world, she must be stronger than ever . . . because more shocking choices and sacrifices lie ahead.
Rating: ***** (5 stars)
Insurgent is the second book in Veronica Roth’s amazing Divergent series. We continue to follow Tris as she adapts – growing more reckless – from the events at the end of Divergent.
I REALLY enjoyed reading this book, and were it not for the fact that I needed to go to bed and then was ill, I would have easily read this within a day – I think I would have managed it within just twelve hours. Once started I found it really difficult to put down, and just tore through the five hundred and twenty-five pages. It really was a joy to read, which honestly surprised me because a) I seem to struggle with dystopian fiction and b) second books in series/trilogies are notoriously difficult.
In Insurgent we are reunited with Tris and Four. I have to say that I really enjoyed the way that their relationship evolved in this book – that it wasn’t always easy for them. I also loved them as individuals – despite all the time they spend together they are both fiercely independent (which at times causes friction). I think Roth created a very real and believable relationship. I also loved the way that Roth handled consequences in this book, and ideas about choice.
The plot of this book was a brilliant and exciting journey – there were loads of twist and turns along the way. And I will freely admit that the ending of the book took me by surprise, though I thought it was totally appropriate – even if it was a cliff-hanger. I’m really looking forward to the third and final (?) book in this series.
If you enjoyed Divergent then you will definitely enjoy this book. It is a brilliant read for fans of dystopian fiction, and even for those of us who aren’t totally convinced by the genre.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
The Flutterby Room is on hiatus throughout the month of March 2015.
- RT @TheSunNewspaper: Now the real #GameofThrones begins. http://t.co/bHM7ZAi4fo 16 hours ago
- RT @waitrose: Turn cheese on toast into something special with our classic recipe for Welsh Rarebit. Recipe: bit.ly/1z0YjXU http://… 18 hours ago
- RT @BBCRadio4: ‘Earthsea is still the finest ever story about sending a boy to wizard school.’ @neilhimself. The magic begins today. http:/… 18 hours ago
- Not a good start to the weekend for me. Cold has really hit, and a flare up. Things can only get better #BankHolidayWeekend #chronicillness 1 day ago
- RT @BBCRadio4: Ruth Rendell, crime writer and peer, has died, aged 85. She spoke to Dr Anthony Clare in 1994 bbc.in/1DK3O8w http://… 1 day ago
- RT @KensingtonRoyal: Her Royal Highness and her child are both doing well. 1 day ago
- RT @KensingtonRoyal: The baby weighs 8lbs 3oz. The Duke of Cambridge was present for the birth. 1 day ago
- RT @KensingtonRoyal: Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge was safely delivered of a daughter at 8.34am. 1 day ago
- RT @KensingtonRoyal: HRH The Duchess of Cambridge was admitted at 06.00hrs to St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington, London and is in the early st… 1 day ago
- RT @BBCBreaking: The Duchess of Cambridge is in labour and has been admitted to the private Lindo Wing at London's St Mary's hospital http:… 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.