Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Title: Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
Author: Veronica Roth
Genre: Dystopian, Young Adult
Publisher: HarperCollins (1st May 2012)
I HAVE DONE BAD THINGS. I CAN’T TAKE THEM BACK, AND THEY ARE PART OF WHO I AM.
Tris has survived a brutal attack on her former home and family. But she has paid a terrible price. Wracked by grief and guilt, she becomes even more reckless as she struggles to accept her new future.
Yet if Tris wants to uncover the truth about her world, she must be stronger than ever . . . because more shocking choices and sacrifices lie ahead.
Rating: ***** (5 stars)
Insurgent is the second book in Veronica Roth’s amazing Divergent series. We continue to follow Tris as she adapts – growing more reckless – from the events at the end of Divergent.
I REALLY enjoyed reading this book, and were it not for the fact that I needed to go to bed and then was ill, I would have easily read this within a day – I think I would have managed it within just twelve hours. Once started I found it really difficult to put down, and just tore through the five hundred and twenty-five pages. It really was a joy to read, which honestly surprised me because a) I seem to struggle with dystopian fiction and b) second books in series/trilogies are notoriously difficult.
In Insurgent we are reunited with Tris and Four. I have to say that I really enjoyed the way that their relationship evolved in this book – that it wasn’t always easy for them. I also loved them as individuals – despite all the time they spend together they are both fiercely independent (which at times causes friction). I think Roth created a very real and believable relationship. I also loved the way that Roth handled consequences in this book, and ideas about choice.
The plot of this book was a brilliant and exciting journey – there were loads of twist and turns along the way. And I will freely admit that the ending of the book took me by surprise, though I thought it was totally appropriate – even if it was a cliff-hanger. I’m really looking forward to the third and final (?) book in this series.
If you enjoyed Divergent then you will definitely enjoy this book. It is a brilliant read for fans of dystopian fiction, and even for those of us who aren’t totally convinced by the genre.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is currently tentatively interested in receiving books for review as she has nearly reached the bottom of her TBR (for the moment). The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @HarryXmasToYou: Which book are you going to read for #HarryXmasToYou? Or are you going to try and read all 7? 8 hours ago
- RT @KazCavill: My friend had 2 dogs stolen from Cranleigh this afternoon.Please share the CCTV images.Thanks! #stolendogs #cranleigh http:/… 8 hours ago
- RT @EvilSupplyCo: The sun is setting and the undead guardians will be taking over. If you are visiting, please ensure your wards are active… 8 hours ago
- RT @waitrose: Get involved in #BakeItForward & you could receive a special festive treat from us! Read more bit.ly/14zy1hh http://t… 8 hours ago
- RT @hodderscape: 30 #ThoseAbove proofs up for grabs! Go! Go! Go! goodreads.com/giveaway/show/… http://t.co/xqLEclqOXl 21 hours ago
- RT @DelReyUK: Ok, who's up for some #freebiefriday fun? We've got 3 super #giveaways on the way. Make sure you're following @DelReyUK for a… 21 hours ago
- RT @PWKidsBookshelf: RT @TelegraphBooks "You don't need princes to save you". @neilhimself spoke to us about the power of fairytales http:/… 21 hours ago
- RT @whatSFSaid: #bookadayuk I wish there was a sequel to The Amber Spyglass... ...OH WAIT, THERE IS, AND @PhilipPullman IS WRITING IT RIGH… 21 hours ago
- RT @NicholasPegg: Want to see a bewildered dog surrounded by otters? Of course you do. http://t.co/eowhTw45pB 21 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Tigers will be in all green at London Welsh this Sunday #fridayfashionadvice http://t.co/AskGx3cSFz 22 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.