Review: Angel by L. A. Weatherly
Title: Angel (Angel #1)
Author: L. A. Weatherly
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy, Young Adult
Publisher: Usborne (1st October 2010)
Willow knows she’s different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into people’s futures, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where she gets this power from . . .
But Alex does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows Willow’s secret and is on a mission to stop her. The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous – and irresistible. In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.
Utterly intoxicating and deeply compelling, ANGEL is an epic take of love, destiny and sacrifice.
Rating: ***** (5 stars)
Angel is the first book in L. A. Weatherly’s Angel series. It tells the story of Willow and Alex. At the start of the book Willow thinks she is a pretty normal highschool student, even if she is considered weird by her peers. The narration is a mixture of first – from both Willow and Alex’s point of view – and third person.
This book was a real surprise for me. I went into reading it wondering if it would be my cup of tea, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by it. This was one of the most addictive reads I have read for a while, especially considering that this is the first book in a series by an author I haven’t read before. Angel blew me away.
The main characters of the book Willow and Alex are likeable and I found them both easy to relate to, which was something of a surprise as I’m not anything like either character. Both Willow and Alex are very practical characters. I loved the fact that Willow is a brilliant mechanic – it’s what made me pick up the book, to be honest. I also loved the fact that despite his upbringing, Alex thinks for himself.
The plot of the book was really imaginative. L. A. Weatherly’s Angels are really interesting, and not at all like I would have expected. I also LOVED the fact that Weatherly gives an explanation as to why the Angels are suddenly coming to Earth. And even better, it’s a plausible one. There are two main plot threads in two the book, and Weatherly does a good job of weaving them together and making the book feel like a complete story.
If you’re looking for something a little different in the urban fantasy or paranormal romance genres then I recommend this book. It will surprise you, in a good way. I’m really looking forward to reading the second book in the series which should be out in October 2o12.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is currently tentatively interested in receiving books for review as she has nearly reached the bottom of her TBR (for the moment). The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @JemIssitt: Derby day @LeicesterTigers @LVRugby #COYT #tigersfamily http://t.co/l7TAEWAsgn 2 hours ago
- Still feel awful, but hopefully feel okay enough to get blog sorted this weekend and to catch-up with blog stuffs. #fingerscrossed 5 hours ago
- RT @Tortall_Fans: “Threats are the last resort of a man with no vocabulary.” 5 hours ago
- RT @KidsBloomsbury: It's just SIX days until #HarryPotterBookNight! Send us your prep photos & refer a friend to #win a hardback box set ht… 11 hours ago
- RT @booknerdcanada: RT this if you also have no idea what to say to authors when you meet them in person. I just babble about random things… 1 day ago
- RT @veschwab: If you want a SIGNED copy of A DARKER SHADE OF MAGIC, or any of my books, @transrealshop can help! 2 days ago
- RT @JessHeartsBooks: The best feeling is when exactly the right book comes along at exactly the right time. I think as avid readers that's … 2 days ago
- RT @BBCBreakfast: An earthquake measuring 3.8 in magnitude has been recorded in the East Midlands overnight! bbc.in/1LjGxSu http://… 2 days ago
- RT @ColitisNinja: #ILostSleepBecause of #IBD. Ulcerative Colitis & Crohn's Disease are rough! 2 days ago
- RT @hollyblack: pellmellxx said: Not too long ago I read something you wrote that I can't seem to find now. It was a bunch... http://t.co/c… 3 days ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.