Review: Angel by L. A. Weatherly
Title: Angel (Angel #1)
Author: L. A. Weatherly
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy, Young Adult
Publisher: Usborne (1st October 2010)
Willow knows she’s different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into people’s futures, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where she gets this power from . . .
But Alex does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows Willow’s secret and is on a mission to stop her. The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous – and irresistible. In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.
Utterly intoxicating and deeply compelling, ANGEL is an epic take of love, destiny and sacrifice.
Rating: ***** (5 stars)
Angel is the first book in L. A. Weatherly’s Angel series. It tells the story of Willow and Alex. At the start of the book Willow thinks she is a pretty normal highschool student, even if she is considered weird by her peers. The narration is a mixture of first – from both Willow and Alex’s point of view – and third person.
This book was a real surprise for me. I went into reading it wondering if it would be my cup of tea, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by it. This was one of the most addictive reads I have read for a while, especially considering that this is the first book in a series by an author I haven’t read before. Angel blew me away.
The main characters of the book Willow and Alex are likeable and I found them both easy to relate to, which was something of a surprise as I’m not anything like either character. Both Willow and Alex are very practical characters. I loved the fact that Willow is a brilliant mechanic – it’s what made me pick up the book, to be honest. I also loved the fact that despite his upbringing, Alex thinks for himself.
The plot of the book was really imaginative. L. A. Weatherly’s Angels are really interesting, and not at all like I would have expected. I also LOVED the fact that Weatherly gives an explanation as to why the Angels are suddenly coming to Earth. And even better, it’s a plausible one. There are two main plot threads in two the book, and Weatherly does a good job of weaving them together and making the book feel like a complete story.
If you’re looking for something a little different in the urban fantasy or paranormal romance genres then I recommend this book. It will surprise you, in a good way. I’m really looking forward to reading the second book in the series which should be out in October 2o12.
I've recently completed my English MA with the Open University which I'm really pleased about. I'm a long-time bookaholic and chocolate fan.
You can find out more about me here.
If you have a book you'd like me to consider for review, then please have a look at my review policy.
- RT @safety: We're reverting the changes to block functionality. blog.twitter.com/2013/reverting… 2 hours ago
- RT @sarahw: So @Twitter listens to its user base. Keep the block, add the mute. blog.twitter.com/2013/reverting… 2 hours ago
- RT @davehogg: The new Twitter block function is like reporting a stalker to the police and having them give you a blindfold so you won't se… 2 hours ago
- RT @laurendane: Another favorite book of 2013 was Kelley Armstrong’s Omens. Just so fantastic. 7 hours ago
- @melissa_marr that sucks and I totally do it too. For me the appeal is mostly because I know I can't have it so of course I want it. 9 hours ago
- RT @daydreamin_star: One final shout out before I leave! There are still spaces on my NA blog tour! Tweet me for details! Vloggers and blog… 9 hours ago
- RT @RichelleMead: Hey guys, I'm live over on Reddit, waiting to answer as many questions as I can in this next hour. Check it out: http://t… 9 hours ago
- RT @WomensHumor: Life goal: Use an entire tube of Chapstick before losing it. 14 hours ago
- RT @EMCastellan: See?! RT @kate_mckean: You guys. What is up with the super long novel queries? +150k is TOO LONG for anything that's not a… 14 hours ago
- RT @lindapoitevin: Only 8 more chances left to win these...better enter now! :) bit.ly/1cJ8z6O http://t.co/6asxjoXXLs 14 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.