Review: Angel by L. A. Weatherly
Title: Angel (Angel #1)
Author: L. A. Weatherly
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy, Young Adult
Publisher: Usborne (1st October 2010)
Willow knows she’s different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into people’s futures, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where she gets this power from . . .
But Alex does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows Willow’s secret and is on a mission to stop her. The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous – and irresistible. In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.
Utterly intoxicating and deeply compelling, ANGEL is an epic take of love, destiny and sacrifice.
Rating: ***** (5 stars)
Angel is the first book in L. A. Weatherly’s Angel series. It tells the story of Willow and Alex. At the start of the book Willow thinks she is a pretty normal highschool student, even if she is considered weird by her peers. The narration is a mixture of first – from both Willow and Alex’s point of view – and third person.
This book was a real surprise for me. I went into reading it wondering if it would be my cup of tea, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by it. This was one of the most addictive reads I have read for a while, especially considering that this is the first book in a series by an author I haven’t read before. Angel blew me away.
The main characters of the book Willow and Alex are likeable and I found them both easy to relate to, which was something of a surprise as I’m not anything like either character. Both Willow and Alex are very practical characters. I loved the fact that Willow is a brilliant mechanic – it’s what made me pick up the book, to be honest. I also loved the fact that despite his upbringing, Alex thinks for himself.
The plot of the book was really imaginative. L. A. Weatherly’s Angels are really interesting, and not at all like I would have expected. I also LOVED the fact that Weatherly gives an explanation as to why the Angels are suddenly coming to Earth. And even better, it’s a plausible one. There are two main plot threads in two the book, and Weatherly does a good job of weaving them together and making the book feel like a complete story.
If you’re looking for something a little different in the urban fantasy or paranormal romance genres then I recommend this book. It will surprise you, in a good way. I’m really looking forward to reading the second book in the series which should be out in October 2o12.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
I've recently completed my English MA with the Open University which I'm really pleased about. I'm a long-time bookaholic and chocolate fan.
You can find out more about me here.
If you have a book you'd like me to consider for review, then please have a look at my review policy.
- LOL. Bad = bad, should have read bed = bad, but you know same thing #shrugs 1 day ago
- Did I mention I am absolutely shattered despite doing nothing and lots of sleep?! Urgh! I don't know what to do with myself as bad = bad. 1 day ago
- Sooo didn't do much today for various reasons...hopefully tomorrow will be better! 1 day ago
- RT @AMBlanchard: Fierce Reads Interview by @jennadoesbooks and an awesome giveaway you definitely need to check out here: http://t.co/5chts… 1 day ago
- Serendipity Reviews: Siege and Storm Blog Tour – The Order of Fabrikators & Giveaway UK/IRE only serendipityreviews.co.uk/2013/06/siege-… via @Serendipity_Viv 1 day ago
- Win Shadow & Bone, Siege & Storm and More in a #Grisha Goodie Pack with @JessHeartsBooks (UK/Ireland only) jessheartsbooks.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/grisha… 1 day ago
- RT @ironfey: Remember to support #TeamAsh in the #YACrushTourney on June 21. 1 day ago
- @CJ_Daugherty one can hope!! 1 day ago
- RT @CJ_Daugherty: Yay! Free phone charging in NYC. I'm sure Vodafone will do this in London. Right? RIGHT?? nytimes.com/2013/06/18/tec… 1 day ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Full time and Lions lose 100-per-cent record, Brumbies 14 Lions 12 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.