Review: Angel by L. A. Weatherly
Title: Angel (Angel #1)
Author: L. A. Weatherly
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy, Young Adult
Publisher: Usborne (1st October 2010)
Willow knows she’s different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into people’s futures, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where she gets this power from . . .
But Alex does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows Willow’s secret and is on a mission to stop her. The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous – and irresistible. In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.
Utterly intoxicating and deeply compelling, ANGEL is an epic take of love, destiny and sacrifice.
Rating: ***** (5 stars)
Angel is the first book in L. A. Weatherly’s Angel series. It tells the story of Willow and Alex. At the start of the book Willow thinks she is a pretty normal highschool student, even if she is considered weird by her peers. The narration is a mixture of first – from both Willow and Alex’s point of view – and third person.
This book was a real surprise for me. I went into reading it wondering if it would be my cup of tea, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by it. This was one of the most addictive reads I have read for a while, especially considering that this is the first book in a series by an author I haven’t read before. Angel blew me away.
The main characters of the book Willow and Alex are likeable and I found them both easy to relate to, which was something of a surprise as I’m not anything like either character. Both Willow and Alex are very practical characters. I loved the fact that Willow is a brilliant mechanic – it’s what made me pick up the book, to be honest. I also loved the fact that despite his upbringing, Alex thinks for himself.
The plot of the book was really imaginative. L. A. Weatherly’s Angels are really interesting, and not at all like I would have expected. I also LOVED the fact that Weatherly gives an explanation as to why the Angels are suddenly coming to Earth. And even better, it’s a plausible one. There are two main plot threads in two the book, and Weatherly does a good job of weaving them together and making the book feel like a complete story.
If you’re looking for something a little different in the urban fantasy or paranormal romance genres then I recommend this book. It will surprise you, in a good way. I’m really looking forward to reading the second book in the series which should be out in October 2o12.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- Today was a good day for #boutofbooks I think. 6 hours ago
- RT @HotKeyBooks: Help us find us new writing talent by voting for the Young Writers Prize with @wattpad! Find out how to vote here: http://… 10 hours ago
- RT @FaberChildrens: Harry and Lil from Hog in the Fog by @JuliaCopus were out enjoying the brief sunlight at @edbookfest today! http://t.co… 10 hours ago
- Bout of Books 11 – Day 3 & Day 4 bloglovin.com/blog/post/6017… on @bloglovin 18 hours ago
- Bout of Books 11 - Day 3 & Day 4 - Bout of Books 11 – Day 3 & Day 4 Wednesday – Day 3 The third day of the... tmblr.co/Zv_19w1OvMI4j 18 hours ago
- Hello Tweeps, hope everyone's having a good day. 18 hours ago
- Have combined Weds and Thurs updates as did nada on Weds. Will post it after I've been to bed. On that note, night all. #boutofbooks #night 1 day ago
- Can't believe I'm still up... On the plus side I finished one book today and started and finished another! Yay! #boutofbooks 1 day ago
- RT @EpicReads: Missed #ARCparty yesterday? (We missed YOU!) Catch the replay now! bit.ly/1pQyzWS http://t.co/sVsUt1s5l7 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.