Review: The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa
Title: The Immortal Rules (A Blood of Eden Novel, #1)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Genre: Dystopian, Urban Fantasy, Young Adult
Publisher: MiraInk (24th April 2012)
IN A FUTURE WORLD VAMPIRES REIGN.
HUMANS ARE BLOOD CATTLE.
AND ONE GIRL WILL SEARCH FOR THE KEY TO SAVE HUMANITY.
SHE MUST DECIDE WHAT - AND WHO – ARE WORTH DYING FOR.
MY VAMPIRE CREATOR TOLD ME THIS:
‘Sometime in your life, Allison Sekemoto, you will kill a human being. The question is not if it will happen, but when. Do you understand?’
I DIDN’T THEN, NOT REALLY.
I DO NOW.
Rating: **** (4 stars)
The Immortal Rules is the first book in Julie Kagawa’s second series Blood of Eden. Kagawa has moved away from the fair folk who populated her first series The Iron Fey, and is instead focusing on vampires. In The Immortal Rules we follow Allison – Allie – Sekemoto, who has learnt how to survive in a dystopian future.
This is one of the most interesting takes on vampires that I have read in a while. Kagawa’s vampires aren’t totally original, they still conform to many of the tropes of the genre but there is a really interesting and neat twist that gets revealed in the book. I loved the realism of the humans reactions to the vampires in this book: on the whole they feared them, which I have to say is a very good survival instinct – they do, after all, drink our blood. At the same time there are hints that there are others who want to be vampires, and there are also those who want the protection vampires can offer.
The setting of the book was really neat. It was typical of what I would expect from a book in the dystopian genre, but I went into this seeing the book as more of an urban fantasy than a dystopian so it was an interesting experience. Kagawa does an excellent job of melding the two genres, so that it is hard to tell where one starts and the other ends.
The Immortal Rules is very much about survival and humanity. Allie is a really interesting character, although at times I found her difficult to relate to. She starts the novel as a very closed off human, and there is a reason for this. But as she journeys through the novel Allie starts to become a little more human, which is a little ironic really. The vampire characters on the whole are rather interesting in the book, and I hope we learn more about them in Book Two as they remained something of a mystery in this book. And finally, I must talk about Zeke. I really adored him as a character and I loved his interaction with Allie. I hope we see more of him in Book Two – I’ve got my fingers crossed!
If you like dystopian books, or vampire books then you should definitely pick up a copy of The Immortal Rules. This book has a really interesting take on vampires, and is well worth a read. I cannot wait to get my hands on Book Two.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is currently tentatively interested in receiving books for review as she has nearly reached the bottom of her TBR (for the moment). The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @EmilyKitchin: Gorgeous finished copies of @JLArmentrout's APOLLYON, #Covenant series #4, are in! @Chapter5Books http://t.co/kOUMUqA6LE 6 hours ago
- RT @elarastar: Ready to take part in #TheWatch at The Cenotaph tomorrow. Photo of my late dad, family WW1 medals, my Vets badge. http://t.c… 7 hours ago
- RT @PenguinUKBooks: #Diwali begins tomorrow and we’ll be talking to @meerasodha about festival, food, family and more besides #askmeera htt… 7 hours ago
- RT @StickiesCamper: @AppledoreBkFest < takes place over 9 event filled days every autumn in the friendly picturesque fishing village of App… 9 hours ago
- @daydreamin_star just sent you an email. 10 hours ago
- "The only people up at 3 am are in love, lonely, drunk, or all three." - (via vufus) OR DOING THEIR... tmblr.co/Zv_19w1TmmTR2 12 hours ago
- Photoset: Daniel Radcliffe | As If Magazine Issue 5 I’m the only person looking at the suit and being... tmblr.co/Zv_19w1Tmlw7v 13 hours ago
- RT @barrygoldblatt: Indigo names THE IRON TRIAL by @hollyblack & @cassieclare one of the ten best books of the year! newswire.ca/en/story/14317… 13 hours ago
- Excuse me whilst I go and make sure #AoS season 2 is recorded. It starts this Fri on 4od in the UK #soexcited 14 hours ago
- Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - With brand new Series 2 starting on Friday 24 October, catch Series 1 of... tmblr.co/Zv_19w1TmSm95 14 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.