Review: My Soul to Keep by Rachel Vincent
Title: My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers #3)
Author: Rachel Vincent
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Young Adult
Publisher: MiraInk(15th April 2011)
KAYLEE HAS ONE ADDICTION: HER BOYFRIEND NASH
Like Kaylee, Nash is a banshee. So he understands her like no one else. Nothing – supernatural or otherwise – can come between them. That is, until something does.
Demon’s breath – a potent paranormal drug with the power to kill. Somehow the super-addictive substance has made its way to the human world. Kaylee and Nash need to cut off the source and protect their human friends – one of who is already hooked.
Bu Kaylee’s plans are soon derailed when she discovers another secret demon’s breath addict in their midst. Nash.
Now she’s ready to kick some serious Netherworld but – but is it too late to save the boy who’s stolen her heart?
Rating: **** (4 stars)
My Soul to Keep is the third book in Rachel Vincent’s fantastic Soul Screamers series. My Soul to Keep starts just as Kaylee completes the grounding she earned as a result of her actions in My Soul to Save (you can find my review here), and attends her first post-grounding party. Things go a little awry.
As with the previous books in this series, My Soul to Keep was a very enjoyable read. It was nice to re-unite with Kaylee, Nash, Emma, and Tod. My Soul to Keep has one of the most interesting and complex plots of the Soul Screamer series so far. I was a little disappointed that the blurb contains what I considered a major spoiler, but the revelation didn’t spoil my enjoyment of the story. More than any other book in the Soul Screamer series (so far), this book is about consequences and how nasty they can be.
Vincent created a really interesting situation in this book with the creation of “demon’s breath”, and how she portrays the drug and the results of addiction. I think that it was an interesting choice, especially considering the genre of this book. Drugs and their consequences aren’t often dealt with in the urban fantasy genre in my experience, so this book was a surprise. Vincent handles the subject brilliantly; this book definitely cemented my love of the Soul Screamer series.
As in the previous two books, Kaylee is the narrator of events in My Soul to Keep and I think this really worked. Kaylee always tries to do the right thing, and this book is no different. She is really honourable, even if she lies on occasion. There were times in this book when I wanted to yell at her because she missed things, or did something silly, but that was part of the enjoyment for me. Kaylee is by no means perfect, but she is a great protagonist. The ending of this book was actually the thing I most liked about it, but then I may be a little biased.
My Soul to Keep is a brilliant continuation of the Soul Screamers series, and if you haven’t read the series yet and like urban fantasy then what are you waiting for? I can’t wait to get my hands on book four.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- After a week of blah I am super proud of myself... I finished a book, started and finished another, and wrote 2 reviews. #winning 4 hours ago
- RT @NinjaBookSwap: Emma Watson, you are brilliant. buzzfeed.com/rossalynwarren… via @RossalynWarren @buzzfeed 4 hours ago
- @NinjaBookSwap can I which t shirt? 6 hours ago
- RT @NinjaBookSwap: Here's sign up info for the last time tonight,off to hang out with hubby!Pls RT & spread the word! theninjabookswap.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/the-ni…… 6 hours ago
- Listening to rents watch Bath v Tigers match. I know we lost but it sounds like Tigers just didn’t turn up. Ref didn’t help. #tigerslive 6 hours ago
- Photo: courtneywirthit: i forgot i made this a few months ago and never shared it. it was part of a GIF... tmblr.co/Zv_19w1RL_11S 6 hours ago
- Photo: tamorapierce: superbnature: Skarv by zorekeroz ift.tt/1pTWAIk Shortsnout? tmblr.co/Zv_19w1RLzEi2 6 hours ago
- Photoset: fanbingblink: We should see all the things that make people and the world different and not... tmblr.co/Zv_19w1RLyGNr 6 hours ago
- Photo: carinaolsen: maggie-stiefvater: I confess I mostly did this so that CarinaOlsen would stop saying... tmblr.co/Zv_19w1RLxr1X 6 hours ago
- Photoset: direwolff: "Oh how, like always, he invents the monsters underneath the bed to get you to sleep... tmblr.co/Zv_19w1RLwxIX 6 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.