Review: Faery Tales & Nightmares by Melissa Marr
Title: Faery Tales & Nightmares
Author: Melissa Marr
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: HarperCollins (1st March 2012)
Dangerous promises and beguiling threats swirl together in a dozen stories of enchantments, light and dark.
Uncanny and unexpected creatures appear from behind bushes, rise from under the seas, or manifest for seasonal storms to pursue the objects of their attention – amorous or sinister intent – relentlessly.
Takes of favourite characters from Marr’s Wicked Lovely novels mix with accounts of new characters for readers to fall in love with . . . or fear.
Rating: ***** (5 stars)
Faery Tales & Nightmares is a collection of short stories by Melissa Marr, some of which are set in her Wicked Lovelyuniverse – answering questions that weren’t answered in the books – whilst others are of new characters and places. There are twelve stories in total in the collection.
This book was exactly what I needed to read, and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It was nice to slip back into the world of Wicked Lovely, to see the familiar characters and places, but it was also nice to explore new characters and new worlds. There is a bit of everything in this collection. If you are a fan of the Wicked Lovely series then you should definitely get your hands on this collection. If you are new to the world of Melissa Marr then I advise that you approach this collection of short stories with care, as there are definitely spoilers for the Wicked Lovely books in the collection.
I was a wee bit disappointed with the ending of Darkest Mercy, the final book in the Wicked Lovely series, but the stories in this book made me fall back in love with this world again. Marr has a knack for wrapping the beautiful with the ugly, the safe with the dangerous. It is something I really like about her faery world – it is beautiful, but all courts are deadly.
To my great surprise there isn’t a single story in the collection that I didn’t enjoy reading – and it is a surprise, as there is normally at least one story in a short story collection that doesn’t work for some reason for me. It was really fun and interesting to see Marr explore new places and ideas. Marr has the ability to approach things from a slightly different angle so that you see “common” situations in a new light. I really enjoyed her story Love Stuck and the ideas she explored about love in it. It was a revelation, and it is definitely one of my favourite stories in the collection.
Faery Tales & Nightmares is a great collection of short stories for fans of Marr’s Wicked Lovely series. I look forward to seeing what Marr turns here attention to next.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @PenguinUKBooks: Time for the 2 hour trip between Florence and Venice as portrayed in @authordanbrown’s INFERNO... #penguinjourneys 17 hours ago
- RT @BloomsburyBooks: Here they are! The remaining #HarryPotter covers by @duddledum. Which one is your favourite? Out 01.09.14. http://t.co… 18 hours ago
- RT @WaterstonesNewc: Come on peeps, there are still tickets left for our @loversdiction @EgmontUK event, get them from our basement. You kn… 18 hours ago
- RT @BlueBloodsWiki: #WitchesOfEastEnd Uk fans! the show will be back on Monday 25 August at 10pm on @LifetimeTelly ! 1 day ago
- RT @tordotcom: What do issues around SF/F diversity look like from an international perspective? A talk with Charles Tan: http://t.co/nxFYy… 1 day ago
- RT @Tortall_Fans: For all you lovely tumblr users, Tammy is having a giveaway! You must be following her blog in order to enter. http://t.c… 1 day ago
- RT @RichelleMead: If you live elsewhere & need a signed book, order here: richellemead.com/shop/shop.htm Or get an unsigned Silver Shadows from you… 1 day ago
- So many things to remember to do. Think I should probably write myself a list. 1 day ago
- RT @PenguinUKBooks: Come and work at Penguin. Go on, you know you want to: po.st/AdminAssistant 1 day ago
- RT @yainterrobang: UK fans of @melissadelacruz: The Bookseller announced her Heart of Dread fantasy series is coming your way! FROZEN hits … 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.