Review: A Witch in Winter by Ruth Warburton
Title: A Witch in Winter (Winter Trilogy #1)
Author: Ruth Warburton
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Hodder Children’s Books (5th January 2012)
When love is tangled up in magic, how do you know what’s real?
When Anna meets Seth, it’s magic. But her hidden powers unleash a spell that sparks a war among witches and enslaves Seth’s heart.
Rating: *** (3 stars)
A Witch in Winter is Ruth Warburton’s debut novel and the first book in her Winter Trilogy. In it we meet Anna Winterson, a teenager who has recently moved from London to the town of Winter into Wicker House.
The book is narrated in the first person from Anna’s point of view. When we first meet her, Anna is resigned to the move from the bright lights of London and everything she’s ever known to the town of Winter. What she sees doesn’t impress her too much, but she is desperate to fit in and not stick out. Things don’t quite go to plan. In Winter, Warburton captures the feeling of an English town – it could be anywhere along the English coast, as there is a timeless and placelessness about it. She also brilliantly captures the feeling of displacement Anna feels from the move from London to Winter.
Anna is an interesting main character. She is close to her father – which I love, there really should be more father/daughter love in YA books – and very level-headed and incredibly stubborn. I loved the relationship between Anna and her dad. Having Anna as the narrator of the book was a good choice on Warburton’s part as it makes Anna instantly relatable, but it does mean that as a reader we only know what Anna does which at times I found frustrating – I’m hoping that as this is the first book in a trilogy some of my questions will be answered in later books.
Until the move to Winter Anna’s life has been pretty normal, apart from the disappearance of her mother. Upon her arrival in Winter things change as Anna doesn’t know she’s anything but normal. The spell Anna casts is the fulcrum of all the events of A Witch in Winter, and it is a neat exploration of the idea of how can you know if someone truly, genuinely, loves you if you’ve put a love spell on them? I kind of feel for Seth in this, because whether or not it is from the spell Anna casts he does love her. I can totally understand Anna’s point of view, but there were points when I just wanted to hug Seth because he tries so damn hard.
A Witch in Winter is a great start to the Winter Trilogy and I’m looking forward to reading the second book, A Witch in Love which came out in July. If you are a fan of witches then this is definitely a book to check out, as how Warburton handles her witches is quite interesting. This is also a book to check out if you’re a fan of paranormal romance and want something a little different.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
The Flutterby Room is on hiatus throughout the month of March 2015.
- RT @BuzzFeed: A mom was shocked by the sexist dress code at a kids’ pool party so she did something about it bzfd.it/1KprLec http://… 1 day ago
- RT @BBCRadio4: Fascinating insights into the @BBCTheArchers process in our Q&A, continuing online now: bbc.in/1elaFRg http://t.co/R… 1 day ago
- Is it too much to ask to be well? Would love to take new drug, so hopefully well enough to go job hunting. #ChronicIllness 3 days ago
- Review: Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh bloglovin.com/blog/post/6017… on @bloglovin 3 days ago
- Ugh, today am having a blood test. Fun times. #sarcasm #canibewell #kthanksbye 3 days ago
- Looking for brand bargains? Don't forget to check brand-i.org #victorialive 6 days ago
- Well... It looks like today is going to turn out different to what I thought. 6 days ago
- RT @ChasTarantino: That Awkward Moment When You Realize Heath Ledger’s Joker Was The Hero fb.me/6zjjJc24q 1 week ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.