Review: Until I Die by Amy Plum
Title: Until I Die (Revenants #2)
Author: Amy Plum
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Atom (3rd May 2012)
MY LIFE HAD ALWAYS BEE BLISSFULLY, WONDERFULLY NORMAL. BUT IT ONLY TOOK ONE MOMENT TO CHANGE EVERYTHING.
Kate had chosen to leave the comfort and safety of her human life in order to join Vincent in the dangerous supernatural world he inhabits. For his part, he has sworn to go against his very nature and resist the repeated deaths that are his fate as a revenant – even though it will bring him immeasurable suffering.
Desperate to help him, Kate’s search for answers takes her from the glamorous streets of Paris to the city’s squalid underbelly. But when she stumbles across a secret that should overthrow their enemies for ever, Kate unwittingly puts everyone she loves at risk. And puts herself in the midst of an ancient and deadly war, not as a bystander . . . but as a target.
Rating: **** (4 stars)
Until I Die is the second book in Amy Plum’s fantastic Revenants trilogy, continuing the story of Kate and Vincent. The story starts around five months after the events of Die For Me. I started reading this straight after I finished the first book, and boy am I glad there wasn’t any wait. As I mentioned in my review of Die For Me (which can be found here), I fell in love with this world and with Kate, so I was a bit worried going into this book – but I was not disappointed.
The opening scene of this book was one of my favourite scenes in the book. I am something of a sucker for a good sword fight, particularly if one of the fighters is a woman and she knows how to handle a blade. For me, after this opening scene, Amy Plum could not go wrong
It was nice to see Kate and Vincent happy and settled in their relationship, and the easy interaction between them. There were hints of this in Die For Me, but in this book it really came to the fore. Plum really made me feel like they were in love, and would do anything to have a single life-time with one another. This book was filled with revelations and hints, and it was fun trying to unravel it all.
We see a bit more of Jules, Gaspard and Ambrose in this book, as well as more of Georgia – who is one of my favourite characters! Unfortunately we lose Charlotte for most of this book, as well as Charles. However, we do get introduced to two new characters – Violette and Arthur – who stir things up a bit. We also have a new bad guy in this book, who remains something of a mystery for most of the book – although I did have a hunch who it was, and was proved right in the end!
As Vincent and Kate are already together, the plot of this book is mostly about them trying to stay together despite fate trying to tear them apart. However, Plum also cleverly weaves in a thread from Die For Me which really helps links the books and overall plot together. I really enjoyed watching events unfold, and couldn’t stop turning the pages. The Revenants trilogy is definitely one of my 2012 reads, and I highly recommend it for any Paranormal Romance fan – it will blow you away. Unfortunately, the third and final book If I Should Die isn’t expected to be published until May 2013 (in the UK) but I cannot wait to get my hands on it!!
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
I've recently completed my English MA with the Open University which I'm really pleased about. I'm a long-time bookaholic and chocolate fan.
You can find out more about me here.
If you have a book you'd like me to consider for review, then please have a look at my review policy.
- LOL. Bad = bad, should have read bed = bad, but you know same thing #shrugs 10 hours ago
- Did I mention I am absolutely shattered despite doing nothing and lots of sleep?! Urgh! I don't know what to do with myself as bad = bad. 10 hours ago
- Sooo didn't do much today for various reasons...hopefully tomorrow will be better! 10 hours ago
- RT @AMBlanchard: Fierce Reads Interview by @jennadoesbooks and an awesome giveaway you definitely need to check out here: http://t.co/5chts… 18 hours ago
- Serendipity Reviews: Siege and Storm Blog Tour – The Order of Fabrikators & Giveaway UK/IRE only serendipityreviews.co.uk/2013/06/siege-… via @Serendipity_Viv 18 hours ago
- Win Shadow & Bone, Siege & Storm and More in a #Grisha Goodie Pack with @JessHeartsBooks (UK/Ireland only) jessheartsbooks.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/grisha… 18 hours ago
- RT @ironfey: Remember to support #TeamAsh in the #YACrushTourney on June 21. 18 hours ago
- @CJ_Daugherty one can hope!! 18 hours ago
- RT @CJ_Daugherty: Yay! Free phone charging in NYC. I'm sure Vodafone will do this in London. Right? RIGHT?? nytimes.com/2013/06/18/tec… 19 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Full time and Lions lose 100-per-cent record, Brumbies 14 Lions 12 19 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.