Women of the Otherworld Challenge: Industrial Magic Review
Each month beginning March 1st, 2012, challenge members will read or re-read the title for that month. In addition, challenge members will either post a review, their reading experience, character castings or anything else related to that title. You have freedom to have fun with your monthly post so be creative! Seeing as this series is 13 novels long, this challenge will last 13 months.
As this challenge started in March and it is already late August, you can tell that I am a little behind…
Industrial Magic (Women of the Otherworld #4)
by Kelley Armstrong
Published: 2nd September 2004
When Paige Winterbourne is ousted as leader of the American Coven of Witches, all she wants to do is hide under her duvet for a few months. But fate, of course, has other plans. A murderer is on the loose – somone with superhuman skills and a grudge against the supernatural community. When Paige learns that the killer is targeting children, she has to get involved.
Desperate to protect those she loves, Paige is thrown into a world of arrogant sorcerers, drunkem necromancers, sulky druid gods and pretentious leather-clad vampires. Not to mention an apparently unstoppable supernatural psychopath hell-bent on revenge . . .
As with both Bitten, Stolen and Dime Store Magic, this is not going to be a “normal” review.
This book sees Armstrong return to form. Paige and Savannah are still trying to reconcile their different backgrounds, but they’ve grown surer of their relationship since the events in Dime Store Magic. I really enjoyed their interactions, especially with the introduction of Lucas Cortez. In this book we get to meet for the first time one of my favourite secondary characters Benicio Cortez, Lucas’s father. I think one of the reasons that I love Benicio so much is that it’s obvious (to me at least) that he loves his son. I’m also amused by the way Lucas dances around his father, as they don’t have the easiest of relationships.
Like in Dime Store Magic, the plot in Industrial Magic resolves around the cabal connection although this time it is Lucas’s connection rather than Savannah’s. This means that Savannah doesn’t appear much in the book, and instead we focus more on both Paige and Lucas. We also get re-introduced to Elena, Clay, Jeremy, Cassandra and Aaron. We also get to meet Jamie Vegas for the first time, and she is quite a character!
The plot of this book is very complicated and complex, and I enjoyed watching it unravel. I especially enjoyed the final parts of the book. Armstrong did a brilliant job wrapping it all up :)
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
The Flutterby Room is on hiatus throughout the month of March 2015.
- Meant to say this yesterday, but forgot. Sorry for the review spam, but I was behind on @goodreads and @BookLikes with reviews. 1 hour ago
- @internethugs thanks for the hugs *hugs back* 1 hour ago
- RT @qwertee: "time and space vortex" for just 12hr more on Qwertee.com/last-chance ReTweet for chance at FREE TEE! http://t.co/HzXD3meiZH 5 hours ago
- RT @BloomsburyBooks: The countdown has started! It's just THREE MONTHS until #HarryPotterIllustrated. Have you pre-ordered your copy yet? h… 5 hours ago
- RT @TatooPorn: 22 Of The Most Stunning Literary Tattoos Posted On The Internet bit.ly/1HGxkCS http://t.co/myYpfvxaLs 10 hours ago
- Review: Blood Games - My review: BLOOD GAMES is the tenth book in C... theflutterbyroom.booklikes.com/post/1196384/r… 23 hours ago
- Review: Dead Heat - My review: DEAD HEAT is the fourth book in Patric... theflutterbyroom.booklikes.com/post/1196382/r… 23 hours ago
- Review: Lover Eternal - My review: LOVER ETERNAL is the second bo... theflutterbyroom.booklikes.com/post/1196380/r… 23 hours ago
- Review: The Ruby Circle - My review: THE RUBY CIRCLE brings Ric... theflutterbyroom.booklikes.com/post/1196379/r… 23 hours ago
- Review: In the Age of Love & Chocolate - My review... theflutterbyroom.booklikes.com/post/1196374/r… 23 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.