Women of the Otherworld Challenge: Dime Store Magic Review
Each month beginning March 1st, 2012, challenge members will read or re-read the title for that month. In addition, challenge members will either post a review, their reading experience, character castings or anything else related to that title. You have freedom to have fun with your monthly post so be creative! Seeing as this series is 13 novels long, this challenge will last 13 months.
As this challenge started in March and it is already late August, you can tell that I am a little behind…
Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld #3)
by Kelley Armstrong
Published: 19th February 2004
Paige Winterbourne is a witch. Not that you’d notice – no warts, no green skin, no cute little wiggle of the nose whenever she casts a spell. No, most of the time she’s just a normal twenty-three-year-old-girl: works too hard, worries about her weight, wonders if she’ll ever find a boyfriend. Okay, so she does have an adopted teenage daughter. Savannah, who wants to raise her black witch of a mother from the dead. And who is being stalked by a telekinetic half-demon and an all-powerful cabal of sorcerers. But other than that, Paige has a really ordinary life. That is, until the neighbours find out who she is, and all hell breaks loose. Literally . . .
As with both Bitten and Stolen, this is not going to be a “normal” review. I adore this series and these characters. This is actually my least favourite book in the series. I just don’t get on with Paige as a main character, and as such this is actually a book I very rarely re-read.
Although not the main character of the book, Armstrong positions Savannah as one of the main characters. Paige tries very hard with Savannah, but is handicapped by the fact that they have very different backgrounds: Paige grew up in the Coven and Savannah didn’t. The impetus of the plot focuses on Savannah, and the fact that a couple of the characters want to gain control of her; Paige, of course, doesn’t make this task easy for them and of course they retaliate and the plot spirals from there.
As well as being re-introduced to Paige and Savannah, and the re-appearance of a certain telekinetic half-demon from Stolen, we are introduced to two new characters both of whom are sorcerers – a witch’s enemy. Lucas Cortez and Kristof Nast. Both are sons of the head of a sorcerers cabal, and both play an important part in the book.
Although this is my least favourite book in the Women of the Otherworld series, it is still an interesting and compelling read.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is currently tentatively interested in receiving books for review as she has nearly reached the bottom of her TBR (for the moment). The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- On another note, I have an important post to write tomorrow about the blog in March. #justsaying #NoteToMyself 5 hours ago
- So The Lemmings are apparently celebrating tonight - end of exams? #wanttosleep 5 hours ago
- RT @IanMcKellen: #Gandalf. Not just a wizard, he is The King of Shade. http://t.co/srV1gL2vkb 8 hours ago
- RT @HachetteCareers: We've got a great new entry level job in #HR. Come work with us, we're brilliant! bit.ly/1zlEcNE 11 hours ago
- RT @BBCBreaking: US actor Leonard Nimoy, who played Mr Spock in Star Trek, has died at the age of 83 in Los Angeles, his family says http:/… 11 hours ago
- RT @jk_rowling: RIP Leonard Nimoy http://t.co/uIcnvI8wNN 11 hours ago
- Ugh! Why am I still up?! #sleep 1 day ago
- RT @ColitisNinja: "I'm ok." The phrase you utter when you're clearly anything but "ok." #IBD 😶 1 day ago
- @Jkagawa good luck - I hope it goes well. He looks lovely. 1 day ago
- RT @TheHPAlliance: We're not saying we think the llamas are Remus and Sirius under wizard witness protection but. Actually. That is in fact… 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.