Women of the Otherworld Challenge: Dime Store Magic Review
Each month beginning March 1st, 2012, challenge members will read or re-read the title for that month. In addition, challenge members will either post a review, their reading experience, character castings or anything else related to that title. You have freedom to have fun with your monthly post so be creative! Seeing as this series is 13 novels long, this challenge will last 13 months.
As this challenge started in March and it is already late August, you can tell that I am a little behind…
Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld #3)
by Kelley Armstrong
Published: 19th February 2004
Paige Winterbourne is a witch. Not that you’d notice – no warts, no green skin, no cute little wiggle of the nose whenever she casts a spell. No, most of the time she’s just a normal twenty-three-year-old-girl: works too hard, worries about her weight, wonders if she’ll ever find a boyfriend. Okay, so she does have an adopted teenage daughter. Savannah, who wants to raise her black witch of a mother from the dead. And who is being stalked by a telekinetic half-demon and an all-powerful cabal of sorcerers. But other than that, Paige has a really ordinary life. That is, until the neighbours find out who she is, and all hell breaks loose. Literally . . .
As with both Bitten and Stolen, this is not going to be a “normal” review. I adore this series and these characters. This is actually my least favourite book in the series. I just don’t get on with Paige as a main character, and as such this is actually a book I very rarely re-read.
Although not the main character of the book, Armstrong positions Savannah as one of the main characters. Paige tries very hard with Savannah, but is handicapped by the fact that they have very different backgrounds: Paige grew up in the Coven and Savannah didn’t. The impetus of the plot focuses on Savannah, and the fact that a couple of the characters want to gain control of her; Paige, of course, doesn’t make this task easy for them and of course they retaliate and the plot spirals from there.
As well as being re-introduced to Paige and Savannah, and the re-appearance of a certain telekinetic half-demon from Stolen, we are introduced to two new characters both of whom are sorcerers – a witch’s enemy. Lucas Cortez and Kristof Nast. Both are sons of the head of a sorcerers cabal, and both play an important part in the book.
Although this is my least favourite book in the Women of the Otherworld series, it is still an interesting and compelling read.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
I've recently completed my English MA with the Open University which I'm really pleased about. I'm a long-time bookaholic and chocolate fan.
You can find out more about me here.
If you have a book you'd like me to consider for review, then please have a look at my review policy.
- LOL. Bad = bad, should have read bed = bad, but you know same thing #shrugs 20 hours ago
- Did I mention I am absolutely shattered despite doing nothing and lots of sleep?! Urgh! I don't know what to do with myself as bad = bad. 20 hours ago
- Sooo didn't do much today for various reasons...hopefully tomorrow will be better! 20 hours ago
- RT @AMBlanchard: Fierce Reads Interview by @jennadoesbooks and an awesome giveaway you definitely need to check out here: http://t.co/5chts… 1 day ago
- Serendipity Reviews: Siege and Storm Blog Tour – The Order of Fabrikators & Giveaway UK/IRE only serendipityreviews.co.uk/2013/06/siege-… via @Serendipity_Viv 1 day ago
- Win Shadow & Bone, Siege & Storm and More in a #Grisha Goodie Pack with @JessHeartsBooks (UK/Ireland only) jessheartsbooks.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/grisha… 1 day ago
- RT @ironfey: Remember to support #TeamAsh in the #YACrushTourney on June 21. 1 day ago
- @CJ_Daugherty one can hope!! 1 day ago
- RT @CJ_Daugherty: Yay! Free phone charging in NYC. I'm sure Vodafone will do this in London. Right? RIGHT?? nytimes.com/2013/06/18/tec… 1 day ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Full time and Lions lose 100-per-cent record, Brumbies 14 Lions 12 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.