Women of the Otherworld Challenge: Dime Store Magic Review
Each month beginning March 1st, 2012, challenge members will read or re-read the title for that month. In addition, challenge members will either post a review, their reading experience, character castings or anything else related to that title. You have freedom to have fun with your monthly post so be creative! Seeing as this series is 13 novels long, this challenge will last 13 months.
As this challenge started in March and it is already late August, you can tell that I am a little behind…
Dime Store Magic (Women of the Otherworld #3)
by Kelley Armstrong
Published: 19th February 2004
Paige Winterbourne is a witch. Not that you’d notice – no warts, no green skin, no cute little wiggle of the nose whenever she casts a spell. No, most of the time she’s just a normal twenty-three-year-old-girl: works too hard, worries about her weight, wonders if she’ll ever find a boyfriend. Okay, so she does have an adopted teenage daughter. Savannah, who wants to raise her black witch of a mother from the dead. And who is being stalked by a telekinetic half-demon and an all-powerful cabal of sorcerers. But other than that, Paige has a really ordinary life. That is, until the neighbours find out who she is, and all hell breaks loose. Literally . . .
As with both Bitten and Stolen, this is not going to be a “normal” review. I adore this series and these characters. This is actually my least favourite book in the series. I just don’t get on with Paige as a main character, and as such this is actually a book I very rarely re-read.
Although not the main character of the book, Armstrong positions Savannah as one of the main characters. Paige tries very hard with Savannah, but is handicapped by the fact that they have very different backgrounds: Paige grew up in the Coven and Savannah didn’t. The impetus of the plot focuses on Savannah, and the fact that a couple of the characters want to gain control of her; Paige, of course, doesn’t make this task easy for them and of course they retaliate and the plot spirals from there.
As well as being re-introduced to Paige and Savannah, and the re-appearance of a certain telekinetic half-demon from Stolen, we are introduced to two new characters both of whom are sorcerers – a witch’s enemy. Lucas Cortez and Kristof Nast. Both are sons of the head of a sorcerers cabal, and both play an important part in the book.
Although this is my least favourite book in the Women of the Otherworld series, it is still an interesting and compelling read.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
The Flutterby Room is on hiatus throughout the month of March 2015.
- RT @KidsBloomsbury: Announcing our summer readalong for the #ThroneofGlass series by @SJmaas! Read with us! bit.ly/1IuTzwl http://t… 2 days ago
- Review: Blood Games by Chloe Neill bloglovin.com/blog/post/6017… on @bloglovin 2 days ago
- 📚 Hope everyone having a good week so far. Not much going on, on the reading front for me but I hope your week is going better!! 3 days ago
- Look what I found in Falmouth, Cornwall today! So excited to see this. (@andrewomerknapp ) #foundmomo… instagram.com/p/4jwIf5EGlA/ 4 days ago
- The beach at Trebah Garden (@trebahgarden ) today. The other half was a lot fuller and the sea looked… instagram.com/p/4jvM3HkGjQ/ 4 days ago
- View from the bottom of Trebah Garden (@trebahgarden ) today. #trebahgardens #rhsgarden #dogfriendly… instagram.com/p/4ju1PUkGif/ 4 days ago
- Visited the beautiful Trebah Garden (@trebahgarden ) today. It was brilliant to see everything in… instagram.com/p/4juOqdkGhK/ 4 days ago
- A beautiful day in St Ives. #niceday #nofilter #travel #cornwall #stives instagram.com/p/4g00-8EGg6/ 5 days ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.