Review: Struck by Jennifer Bosworth
Author: Jennifer Bosworth
Genre: Dystopian, Young Adult
Publisher: Doubleday Childrens (26th April 2012)
My name is Mia Price and I am a
I want the lightning to find me. I crave it like
LUNGS CRAVE OXYGEN.
Nothing makes you feel more alive than being
Rating: ** (2 stars)
There has always been something about lightning that has interested me, even if I am terrified of the reality. The idea of a “lightning addict” sounded really interesting, so I thought I’d give Mia’s story a try.
This is book is not for everyone. The ideas behind it are really interesting, but the execution is a little lacking at times. There is a really strong plot to the book to begin with – the end of the world is nigh – but it just falls apart at the end. There is also a very fanatical Christian – particularly Evangelical – overtone to the book, so if religion just isn’t your thing then you should definitely give this book a miss. I could live with it, but it really permeates the whole story.
Mia is a really strong character. She is very sure of herself, and she cares deeply for her family. Mia is also something of a loner and an outsider, unlike her brother Parker who seems to have a need to fit in. I really enjoyed the prologue of the book where Mia talks frankly about lightning and being struck by it – it was an interesting point of view.
The plot of the book takes place over a relatively short period of time, so there is a rather quick build-up. This works as it creates a lot of tension in the story, and there is a definite feeling of a storm building. Mr. Kale and Prophet are two very interesting and opposing characters. There are some very definite similarities between them, which creates a sense of blurring so it is difficult to know as a reader which one to trust – or not.
I wish I could say that I liked this book, but honestly it was just okay. The ending really did nothing for me as a reader – after all the tension Bosworth builds, it just kinda petered out which was disappointing. If you like the idea of lightning in an apocalyptic world and can cope with a lot of evangelising then you might want to consider trying this book.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- *pokes Tumblr* why you no like me?! 5 hours ago
- 60 Minutes: Sir Nicholas Winton "Saving the Children": youtu.be/c0aoifNziKQ via @YouTube 6 hours ago
- @Doc_Megz_to_be *hugs* I'm so sorry to hear that. 7 hours ago
- @JessHeartsBooks huh, I didn't know anything was going on at the moment. That it is, is so sad and depressing :( 7 hours ago
- RT @when_sam_speaks: "@thejenwilkinson: P.S. Happy Batman Day (wt) http://t.co/iSN7ctCLPm" 7 hours ago
- RT @DisneyHyperion: You know you want one...opening night at #SDCC2014 - booth 929! http://t.co/itJmZdH5cL 7 hours ago
- RT @Dina_at_Disney: Hard at work setting up for #SDCC2014! Come see us in booth 929. #booksbooksbooks http://t.co/dNApiDp1tH 7 hours ago
- RT @Jkagawa: New vlog post: Why I write YA. juliekagawa.blogspot.com/2014/07/vlog-p… 7 hours ago
- none because a lot of them seem to attrack trouble & I'm already stuck on a desert island...(2/2) 8 hours ago
- This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic amused me. It was Top Ten Characters I Would Want With Me On A Desert Island. My instant thought was (1/?) 8 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.