Review: Struck by Jennifer Bosworth
Author: Jennifer Bosworth
Genre: Dystopian, Young Adult
Publisher: Doubleday Childrens (26th April 2012)
My name is Mia Price and I am a
I want the lightning to find me. I crave it like
LUNGS CRAVE OXYGEN.
Nothing makes you feel more alive than being
Rating: ** (2 stars)
There has always been something about lightning that has interested me, even if I am terrified of the reality. The idea of a “lightning addict” sounded really interesting, so I thought I’d give Mia’s story a try.
This is book is not for everyone. The ideas behind it are really interesting, but the execution is a little lacking at times. There is a really strong plot to the book to begin with – the end of the world is nigh – but it just falls apart at the end. There is also a very fanatical Christian – particularly Evangelical – overtone to the book, so if religion just isn’t your thing then you should definitely give this book a miss. I could live with it, but it really permeates the whole story.
Mia is a really strong character. She is very sure of herself, and she cares deeply for her family. Mia is also something of a loner and an outsider, unlike her brother Parker who seems to have a need to fit in. I really enjoyed the prologue of the book where Mia talks frankly about lightning and being struck by it – it was an interesting point of view.
The plot of the book takes place over a relatively short period of time, so there is a rather quick build-up. This works as it creates a lot of tension in the story, and there is a definite feeling of a storm building. Mr. Kale and Prophet are two very interesting and opposing characters. There are some very definite similarities between them, which creates a sense of blurring so it is difficult to know as a reader which one to trust – or not.
I wish I could say that I liked this book, but honestly it was just okay. The ending really did nothing for me as a reader – after all the tension Bosworth builds, it just kinda petered out which was disappointing. If you like the idea of lightning in an apocalyptic world and can cope with a lot of evangelising then you might want to consider trying this book.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is currently tentatively interested in receiving books for review as she has nearly reached the bottom of her TBR (for the moment). The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @GuardianBooks: Lemony Snicket author makes $110,000 apology for racist remarks gu.com/p/43hyb 7 hours ago
- RT @WaterstonesDork: Out now! The Map To Everywhere! In hardback for 8-12s and parents who enjoy a good read. @the_orionstar http://t.co/nW… 7 hours ago
- RT @InMy_Handbag: Today's #bookadayUK is the series you'd like to read again. Shouts for Harry Potter, All Souls Trilogy & LOTR. Any others… 7 hours ago
- RT @matthaig1: INSTRUCTIONS FOR CIVILIZATION: 1. Go to a bookshop. 2. Or library. 3. Get a book. 4. Read. 5. Lend to a person who'd enjoy … 7 hours ago
- Well that was a fun start to the morning... 12 hours ago
- RT @thejenwilkinson: Find some holiday magic this week! http://t.co/BL23b9uJy8 12 hours ago
- Need to read, but not in the mood. *face palm* #bookbloggerproblems 1 day ago
- RT @NemoandGiraffe: 3 hours to go! Any extra funds raised will be used to increase our marketing budget & look at making paperback copies h… 1 day ago
- RT @hodderscape: Jurassic World trailer trailer! youtube.com/watch?v=tvdIL7… 1 day ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Confirmed teams, with correct spelling of @BlaineScully1! http://t.co/BYJqCvEGCc 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.