Review: Slated by Teri Terry
Title: Slated (Slated #1)
Author: Teri Terry
Genre: Dystopian, Young Adult
Publisher: Orchard (3rd May 2012)
Kyla’s memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.
She’s been Slated.
The government claims she was a terrorist,
and that they are giving her a second chance -
as long as she plays by their rules. But echoes of
the past whisper in Kyla’s mind. Someone is
lying to her, and nothing is as it seems.
Who can she trust in her search for the truth?
Rating: *** (3 stars)
Slated is the first book in Teri Terry’s Slated series. It tells the story of a girl called Kyla as she struggles to adapt in a world that’s unfamiliar to her.
It was the cover that really drew me to this book. It is very simple and, in my opinion, quite beautiful. I love the way the model’s eyes stare out at you – she has such green eyes!
On the whole I really enjoyed reading this book. Once started I couldn’t put it down – it took me less than a day from start to finish to read it, including breaks to eat and sleep. Kyla is a really interesting character. She wasn’t at all what I was expecting from the blurb and the set-up of the book. Despite what has happened to her, Kyla has a very strong and very definite sense of self which kind of sets her apart from the other Slated in the book. And despite being the narrator, she remains something of an enigma throughout the book. Despite her mysteriousness, I really liked her as a character and enjoyed reading about her. Terry also did a great job with the secondary characters – she created just the right amount of intrigue with Dr Lysander, Mum, and Dad. I also liked the way Terry created suspense in the book by asking questions and leaving so many unanswered.
However, I did find the book somewhat predictable. The predictability wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, I just would have preferred not being able to guess certain outcomes so early on. I also found the ending a little, well, flat. Slated is the first book in a series and well it kinda showed. The book ends with a bit of a cliff-hanger, yet I don’t find myself desperate to get my hands on Fractured. If you like dystopian fiction that’s a little predictable then this may be a book you wish to give a try. When it works, it works well. The world Terry has created is an interesting one, and it is populated by great characters. I just kinda wish more had happened.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is currently tentatively interested in receiving books for review as she has nearly reached the bottom of her TBR (for the moment). The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @trebahgarden: Looks like it will be bright and crisp all weekend. Perfect for a walk in the garden and a spot of lunch #trebah http://t… 8 hours ago
- RT @laurakane88: Day 22 - Favourite book about a journey - I think I will be one of the many to say The Hobbit #bookadayuk 8 hours ago
- RT @HarryXmasToYou: Which book are you going to read for #HarryXmasToYou? Or are you going to try and read all 7? 19 hours ago
- RT @KazCavill: My friend had 2 dogs stolen from Cranleigh this afternoon.Please share the CCTV images.Thanks! #stolendogs #cranleigh http:/… 19 hours ago
- RT @EvilSupplyCo: The sun is setting and the undead guardians will be taking over. If you are visiting, please ensure your wards are active… 19 hours ago
- RT @waitrose: Get involved in #BakeItForward & you could receive a special festive treat from us! Read more bit.ly/14zy1hh http://t… 19 hours ago
- RT @hodderscape: 30 #ThoseAbove proofs up for grabs! Go! Go! Go! goodreads.com/giveaway/show/… http://t.co/xqLEclqOXl 1 day ago
- RT @DelReyUK: Ok, who's up for some #freebiefriday fun? We've got 3 super #giveaways on the way. Make sure you're following @DelReyUK for a… 1 day ago
- RT @PWKidsBookshelf: RT @TelegraphBooks "You don't need princes to save you". @neilhimself spoke to us about the power of fairytales http:/… 1 day ago
- RT @whatSFSaid: #bookadayuk I wish there was a sequel to The Amber Spyglass... ...OH WAIT, THERE IS, AND @PhilipPullman IS WRITING IT RIGH… 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.