Review: Dragon’s Oath by P.C. and Kristin Cast
Title: Dragon’s Oath (House of Night Novella #1)
Author: P.C. and Kristin Cast
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Atom (12th July 2011)
Had I chosen differently those many years ago,
perhaps I could have kept all this from happening.
Strength tempered by mercy was a mistake.
Do you not remember, my love?
I do. I will never forget.
Dragon Lankford wasn’t always an instructor at the House of Night. Once he was a student: young, talented and in love. But the mistake that cost him everything might be the key to helping Zoey and the rest of the vampyres in their fight against the darkness . . .
Rating: *** (3 stars)
Dragon’s Oath is the first novella in the House of Night series, and the novella is set partly during the events of Awakening, and partly in the past when Dragon and his Anastasia first meet. I would not suggest reading this novella before you have read Awakened as you might be spoiled.
The story of Dragon’s Oath is just one hundred and forty-five pages long, which really is not a lot. Yet within those one hundred and forty-five pages there is a lot going on. We meet Dragon when he is of a similar age to Zoey and her friends, and we see how he meets and woos Anastasia. Apart from a brief mention at the beginning of the narrative, none of the characters (apart from Dragon and Anastasia) from theHouse of Night series feature in the novella.
I found the novella pretty hard to get into when I first started reading it. However, once I got into it, it was a really enjoyable read. It was nice to see Dragon as he was, rather than as he is up to book eight in the House of Night. It was also really nice to have more of a feel for Anastasia’s character – I can see what captures Dragon’s attention.
The plot of the book was quick and fast paced, and I enjoyed it. I also liked the fact that in many ways the novella is a standalone story, although it is linked to the series. I liked the neatness of the novella. How the Casts told a single story, and showed how singular events can be like ripples in a pool.
This was a really enjoyable read. If you’re following the House of Night series then you should definitely pick up this novella. It is a joy to read.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @thejenwilkinson: Indescribably Beautiful. #wildcats http://t.co/YFn1zBP5CM 1 hour ago
- RT @GreatestMindQ: "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody; it saves so much trouble." - Rudyard Kipling 1 hour ago
- I need to get my reading cap on ASAP 19 hours ago
- RT @PenguinUKBooks: Q. What sort of stories do pirates prefer? A. Gripping YAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRNS. 19 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Tigers will wear the orange alternate kit against Bath at The Rec tomorrow http://t.co/68DwrjvKcX 19 hours ago
- RT @PWKidsBookshelf: Young adult fiction is loved because it speaks to us all – unlike adult stories | Guardian pwne.ws/1o8qNUz 19 hours ago
- RT @GuardianBooks: Young adult fiction is loved because it speaks to us all – unlike adult stories ow.ly/2NMqCD 1 day ago
- RT @Telegraph: Cometh the hour, cometh the Matt #indyref #Scotlanddecides http://t.co/0rBEYafKA0 1 day ago
- RT @sarahmedway: I wish the turnout for every election election was as good as that for the #indyref. 1 day ago
- RT @SWildlifepics: Mother love http://t.co/EZrtf9ACOp 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.