Review: Dragon’s Oath by P.C. and Kristin Cast
Title: Dragon’s Oath (House of Night Novella #1)
Author: P.C. and Kristin Cast
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Atom (12th July 2011)
Had I chosen differently those many years ago,
perhaps I could have kept all this from happening.
Strength tempered by mercy was a mistake.
Do you not remember, my love?
I do. I will never forget.
Dragon Lankford wasn’t always an instructor at the House of Night. Once he was a student: young, talented and in love. But the mistake that cost him everything might be the key to helping Zoey and the rest of the vampyres in their fight against the darkness . . .
Rating: *** (3 stars)
Dragon’s Oath is the first novella in the House of Night series, and the novella is set partly during the events of Awakening, and partly in the past when Dragon and his Anastasia first meet. I would not suggest reading this novella before you have read Awakened as you might be spoiled.
The story of Dragon’s Oath is just one hundred and forty-five pages long, which really is not a lot. Yet within those one hundred and forty-five pages there is a lot going on. We meet Dragon when he is of a similar age to Zoey and her friends, and we see how he meets and woos Anastasia. Apart from a brief mention at the beginning of the narrative, none of the characters (apart from Dragon and Anastasia) from theHouse of Night series feature in the novella.
I found the novella pretty hard to get into when I first started reading it. However, once I got into it, it was a really enjoyable read. It was nice to see Dragon as he was, rather than as he is up to book eight in the House of Night. It was also really nice to have more of a feel for Anastasia’s character – I can see what captures Dragon’s attention.
The plot of the book was quick and fast paced, and I enjoyed it. I also liked the fact that in many ways the novella is a standalone story, although it is linked to the series. I liked the neatness of the novella. How the Casts told a single story, and showed how singular events can be like ripples in a pool.
This was a really enjoyable read. If you’re following the House of Night series then you should definitely pick up this novella. It is a joy to read.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is currently tentatively interested in receiving books for review as she has nearly reached the bottom of her TBR (for the moment). The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @Harry_Tennison: Open day @FalmouthUni was pretty cool. Loved that they share all the dietary information in their cafe! #smallthing 13 minutes ago
- RT @kingsleydc: New course launch for @softfalmouth, BSc Computing for Games - apply through @UCAS now falmouth.ac.uk/computing-for-… @falmouthuni … 21 minutes ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Final score in @EPCRugby #ChampionsCup Pool 3: Ulster 13 Toulon 23 22 minutes ago
- @HAtraffic_swest heavy slow moving traffic round #M5 junction 20, do you know why? 4 hours ago
- RT @HAtraffic_swest: We've had to close 2 lanes #M5 J14-J15 southbound while the fire service deal with an incident. Traffic passing in lan… 4 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Safe journey to the #Tigersfamily heading to Scarlets 5 hours ago
- RT @marksandspencer: The memories will always #LiveOn > bit.ly/1z0oNXJ http://t.co/4n1WaDb9Z3 9 hours ago
- RT @chloeneill: And this, folks, is How To Be A Class Act 101 via @TheOrlandoJones. theorlandojones.tumblr.com/post/100609211… 9 hours ago
- RT @arrowpublishing: Something strange is occurring in @Waterstones... #WaterstonesSleepover http://t.co/O9Z0kq7S0m 14 hours ago
- @steakuccino thank you for tweeting about my video :) 19 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.