Review: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Title: Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy #1)
Author: Richelle Mead
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Penguin (26th May 2009)
Lissa Dragomir is a mortal vampire.
She must be protected at all times from the fiercest and most dangerous vampires of all – the ones who will never die.
Rose Hathaway is Lissa’s best friend – and her bodyguard.
Now, after two years of illicit freedom, they’ve been dragged back inside the iron gates of St. Vladimir’s Academy. The girl’s must survive a world of forbidden romances, a ruthless social scene and terrifying night-time rituals.
But above all, they must never let their guard down, lest the immortal vampires take Lissa – forever . . .
Rating: **** (4 stars)
Vampire Academy is the first book in Richelle Mead’s Vampire Academy series. Although this series has been out for around five years, this is the first time I’ve read it. I read its spin-off Bloodlines first (read my review here) so I had a bit of an idea what I was getting into when I started this book.
For me, this book was a quick and enjoyable read – even with breaks it took me just 12 hours to finish it. I got into the story quickly, I liked the characters and the narrative voice, and before I knew it I was on the final page. It was a thoroughly enjoyable read.
Rose and Lissa are interesting main characters. They share the stage almost equally. With Rose as the narrator I thought the story would be more about her, but it’s not. Richelle Mead writes the close friendship between them brilliantly. You can instantly see that they are very close. They work well together; as friends, as princess and guard, and as protagonists. It’s kinda hard to imagine one without the other. They seem more like siblings than friends.
This is, I think, the first time I’ve read about vampire royalty (unless you count Akasha from Anne Rice’s Queen of the Damned, which I don’t – not really). It is an interesting choice, and makes a certain sense. It’s certainly a change from the use of gangs or liege lords. The plot of the book is an interesting twist on the expected too. On the one hand it seems really predictable and yet . . . There are twists and ideas that I haven’t seen explored in quite the way they are in Vampire Academy before.
Everything about this book is a real oxymoron.
If you’re a fan of vampire fiction but fancy something a little different to the norm then you should give this book a try. Even if you don’t you should have a go. I will definitely be picking up the next book in the series. Hopefully it will be just as good.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is currently tentatively interested in receiving books for review as she has nearly reached the bottom of her TBR (for the moment). The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @AmenaAr: You have galaxies inside your head. Stop letting people tell you, you cannot shine ♡ #goodnight instagram.com/p/zqjrprHuj-/ 10 hours ago
- To bed to bed there's knocking... You know what, I'm not in. #goodnight 11 hours ago
- RT @maureenjohnson: RT if every time you hear about the Mars 2024 one-way mission you say, "What the ****?" Every. Single. Time. 11 hours ago
- RT @GSJennsen: RT @AstroCamp: Here are the #stunning swirling clouds of the Rosette #Nebula! Credit Michael A. Mayda #space http://t.co/Fb0… 11 hours ago
- RT @qwertee: "Silhouette" is today's tee on Qwertee.com ReTweet for a chance at a FREE TEE! http://t.co/YedzojT7jN 11 hours ago
- RT @AnimaILife: "I told you both of us could fit." "I fucking hate you right now." http://t.co/UwL1l4f3Ni 11 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Today's attendance confirmed as 21,896. Thank you #tigersfamily #tigerslive 19 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: HALF TIME Leicester Tigers 20 Sale Sharks 3 #tigerslive 20 hours ago
- Opps, meant to post this on Monday. Really looking forward to reading THE SECRETS SISTERS KEEP #holidayfromhalfterm http://t.co/COssru6nb4 21 hours ago
- RT @NinjaBookSwap: Monday is the deadline for sending your #ninjabookswap parcels,if you've already sent or will be delayed + haven't told … 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.