Review: Abandon by Meg Cabot
Title: Abandon (Abandon Trilogy #1)
Author: Meg Cabot
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Macmillan (1st September 2011)
Pierce knows what it’s like to die.
Last year she flatlined following an accident.
During that time Pierce saw a dark world and met a mysterious, irresistible boy.
Now that boy, John Hayden, has turned up at school. Every time she sees him Pierce finds herself in terrible danger. Yet she’s still drawn to him.
John wants to take her back to the place she fears the most: the Underworld.
The question is, why?
Rating: ***** (5 stars)
Abandon is the first book in Meg Cabot’s latest trilogy. I am a huge fan of Meg Cabot’s for a variety of reasons. I really enjoyed reading The Princess Diaries, All American Girl duology, and I particularly enjoyed her The Heather Wells Mysteries series – I thought the titles were brilliant. So I went into this book will a LOT of expectations, and it totally lived up to them.
Abandon is a re-telling of the Persephone myth, but it’s not quite as simple as that. Meg Cabot only uses elements of the myth, so it is no simple re-telling. There are plenty of twists and turns along the way that come as surprises, even if you know the basic bones of Persephone’s story. I really enjoyed the way that Meg Cabot took this myth and made it her own. To be honest, after a while I forgot that the story was based on anything and just enjoyed the story.
Pierce is a compelling narrator and a brilliant lead character. I thought she was immensely likable, and totally believable. I found myself rooting for her from the first. John is a particularly mysterious and enigmatic character. Because we see him through Pierce’s eyes, I found him very difficult to put my finger on – because Pierce isn’t sure what to think of him, I’m not either. Pierce and John definitely have a strong reaction to one another. Precisely what that reaction is, is difficult to tell until the end of the book.
The overall plot of the book is compelling, and I enjoyed the way Cabot reimagined myths and twisted them to fit her story. The twists were very imaginative. There are several plot threads woven in the narrative, and they all come to pleasing conclusions by the end of the book. Yet there are still things left unfinished, which will hopefully be resolved in later books. Because I enjoyed this story so much I am REALLY looking forward to reading the second book in the trilogy Underworld. I cannot wait to get my hands on it!!
If you’re a fan of mythological twists, or paranormal romance then this is one book you should definitely try. I cannot recommend it enough. It has become a firm favourite of mine.
I've recently completed my English MA with the Open University which I'm really pleased about. I'm a long-time bookaholic and chocolate fan.
You can find out more about me here.
If you have a book you'd like me to consider for review, then please have a look at my review policy.
- RT @EverardsTiger: All set up @LeicesterTigers Christmas Market! Make sure you come and see us! #TigerMinikeg #Tigersfamily http://t.co/fG… 5 hours ago
- RT @EverardsTiger: Come down to the @LeicesterTigers Christmas Market today b4 the match and say hello! Plenty of gifts for #xmas includin… 5 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: As it's our closest home game to Christmas, DJs Thrust and Power are asking for festive #Tigerstunes requests 7 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: The sun is shining on Welford Road for another #HeinekenCup matchday. Tickets still available on 0844 866 1880 http://… 7 hours ago
- RT @TheTweetOfGod: #stupidity is trending. Not on Twitter, just in general. 9 hours ago
- RT @EMTrains: HEAR YE. HEAR YE. All of our timetables change tomorrow! Find your new times here: ow.ly/rmwoJ 19 hours ago
- RT @HeathrowAirport: Due to an aır traffıc control technical issue, flıghts from many UK aırports, ıncludıng Heathrow, are subject to delay… 1 day ago
- RT @LKHamilton: Sadly accurate. “@SciencePorn: Sarcasm at it's best. This deserves endless retweets http://t.co/fR952XOpwN” 1 day ago
- Stupid cold has come back with a vengeance that is just plain mean #tooilltosleep 1 day ago
- RT @TheHappyFoodie: Have a Happy Foodie #Christmas with our #competition: win a £250 @Fortnums Burlington hamper bit.ly/18cXXzV htt… 2 days ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.