Review: Tempted by P.C. and Kristin Cast
Title: Tempted (A House of Night Novel #6)
Author: P.C. and Kristin Cast
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Atom (27th April 2010)
This blood smelled too dark. Too thick. There was too much of something in that wasn’t human. But it was still blood, and it drew her, even though she knew the wrongness of it deep in her soul.
Dangerous secrets come between Zoey and Stevie Rae, putting the House of Night at great risk. Stevie Rae, with her super red vamp powers, thought she could handle keeping stuff from her BFF, but her latest secret is a big one. Zoey’s left with trust issues while she needs her friends – and boyfriends – like never before.
Zoey banished malevolent immortal Kalona from Tulsa, but the battle is far from over. He now seeks power at the highest levels, and the Vampyre High Council is falling under his thrall. Without Zoey’s help, the world could still burn in the fiery hell of Aphrodite’s visions. And will Zoey’s connection with A-ya, a Cherokee maiden who tempted Kalona in ages past, help or hinder her resistance to the dangerously seductive immortal?
Two girls walk a tightrope between good and evil. And their choices will see everything they love saved – or destroyed.
Rating: **** (4 stars)
Tempted is the sixth book in P.C. and Kristin Cast’s House of Night series. The story starts almost directly after the events of Hunted, and as such this review will contain spoilers for previous books in the series. This book is a really good read; on a par with the previous books in the series.
There is one notable change in the format of Tempted to the previous book in the House of Night series, and that is that the book has multiple narrators. The introduction of the multiple narrators allows the plot to split into two distinct areas. I think the splitting of the narration works well, as it shows the broadening scope of the plot. It was a bit of a surprise, but I quickly got used to having more than Zoey’s point of view, and the Casts were clever and made sure that the none of the narrative threads crossed (which I have to say I was very pleased with, as the same scene wasn’t described twice).
Tempted is a slimmer book to Hunted, but it is just as action-packed. There seems to be no let up for Zoey and her friends. In this book things come to a head, and events start to overtake Zoey. It’s interesting to see how she and her friends meet these challenges. And how Zoey struggles with her feelings for Kalona, as A-ya’s feelings conflict with her own. There’s also something of a resolution to Zoey’s boyfriend issues in this book.
The ending of Tempted is something of a shock; I didn’t see the ending coming and was a bit blindsided, but I think it was a brave move by the Casts and a rather brilliant one. I’m looking forward to how they plan to resolve it in the next book in House of Night.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @Foyles: First ever @TheFolioPrize winner is... George Saunders for Tenth of December. His first words: "Glad I came!" http://t.co/KxSqp… 33 minutes ago
- RT @ChelseaVBC: Outlaw werewolves, anyone? Enter to win REAPER'S VOW: ow.ly/ur8GL 38 minutes ago
- RT @SJMaas: ..it's found a home not just in the US, but in the UK, too. The @UKTor press release sums it up PERFECTLY. @stdennard http://t.… 38 minutes ago
- RT @sarahdessen: You guys, my big news IS OUT! I won the Veronica Mars experience contest! Going to premiere! With @IMKristenBell! NOT KIDD… 57 minutes ago
- Photoset: sosuperawesome: The Wheatfield by Katie Daisy tmblr.co/Zv_19w19lC2ry 3 hours ago
- Photo: penguinteenaus: Bloodlines 100K celebration sneak peek from #SilverShadows #FreeSydneySage tmblr.co/Zv_19w19lAmcT 3 hours ago
- RT @Iearnsomething: This is an arctic fox. It is the only land mammal native to Iceland. http://t.co/QvZVFIJuGF 3 hours ago
- Am off to read, talk to you later. 4 hours ago
- RT @BookLikes: "You get a little moody sometimes but I think that's because you like to read." #books #reading #booklove #greatquote http:/… 4 hours ago
- RT @Jkagawa: Oh right, small correction. The Forever Song is now on Netgalley MARCH 10-14 ONLY. That's only 5 days, grab it now! https://t.… 4 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.