Review: Tempted by P.C. and Kristin Cast
Title: Tempted (A House of Night Novel #6)
Author: P.C. and Kristin Cast
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Atom (27th April 2010)
This blood smelled too dark. Too thick. There was too much of something in that wasn’t human. But it was still blood, and it drew her, even though she knew the wrongness of it deep in her soul.
Dangerous secrets come between Zoey and Stevie Rae, putting the House of Night at great risk. Stevie Rae, with her super red vamp powers, thought she could handle keeping stuff from her BFF, but her latest secret is a big one. Zoey’s left with trust issues while she needs her friends – and boyfriends – like never before.
Zoey banished malevolent immortal Kalona from Tulsa, but the battle is far from over. He now seeks power at the highest levels, and the Vampyre High Council is falling under his thrall. Without Zoey’s help, the world could still burn in the fiery hell of Aphrodite’s visions. And will Zoey’s connection with A-ya, a Cherokee maiden who tempted Kalona in ages past, help or hinder her resistance to the dangerously seductive immortal?
Two girls walk a tightrope between good and evil. And their choices will see everything they love saved – or destroyed.
Rating: **** (4 stars)
Tempted is the sixth book in P.C. and Kristin Cast’s House of Night series. The story starts almost directly after the events of Hunted, and as such this review will contain spoilers for previous books in the series. This book is a really good read; on a par with the previous books in the series.
There is one notable change in the format of Tempted to the previous book in the House of Night series, and that is that the book has multiple narrators. The introduction of the multiple narrators allows the plot to split into two distinct areas. I think the splitting of the narration works well, as it shows the broadening scope of the plot. It was a bit of a surprise, but I quickly got used to having more than Zoey’s point of view, and the Casts were clever and made sure that the none of the narrative threads crossed (which I have to say I was very pleased with, as the same scene wasn’t described twice).
Tempted is a slimmer book to Hunted, but it is just as action-packed. There seems to be no let up for Zoey and her friends. In this book things come to a head, and events start to overtake Zoey. It’s interesting to see how she and her friends meet these challenges. And how Zoey struggles with her feelings for Kalona, as A-ya’s feelings conflict with her own. There’s also something of a resolution to Zoey’s boyfriend issues in this book.
The ending of Tempted is something of a shock; I didn’t see the ending coming and was a bit blindsided, but I think it was a brave move by the Casts and a rather brilliant one. I’m looking forward to how they plan to resolve it in the next book in House of Night.
I've recently completed my English MA with the Open University which I'm really pleased about. I'm a long-time bookaholic and chocolate fan.
You can find out more about me here.
If you have a book you'd like me to consider for review, then please have a look at my review policy.
- RT @safety: We're reverting the changes to block functionality. blog.twitter.com/2013/reverting… 4 hours ago
- RT @sarahw: So @Twitter listens to its user base. Keep the block, add the mute. blog.twitter.com/2013/reverting… 4 hours ago
- RT @davehogg: The new Twitter block function is like reporting a stalker to the police and having them give you a blindfold so you won't se… 4 hours ago
- RT @laurendane: Another favorite book of 2013 was Kelley Armstrong’s Omens. Just so fantastic. 8 hours ago
- @melissa_marr that sucks and I totally do it too. For me the appeal is mostly because I know I can't have it so of course I want it. 10 hours ago
- RT @daydreamin_star: One final shout out before I leave! There are still spaces on my NA blog tour! Tweet me for details! Vloggers and blog… 11 hours ago
- RT @RichelleMead: Hey guys, I'm live over on Reddit, waiting to answer as many questions as I can in this next hour. Check it out: http://t… 11 hours ago
- RT @WomensHumor: Life goal: Use an entire tube of Chapstick before losing it. 15 hours ago
- RT @EMCastellan: See?! RT @kate_mckean: You guys. What is up with the super long novel queries? +150k is TOO LONG for anything that's not a… 15 hours ago
- RT @lindapoitevin: Only 8 more chances left to win these...better enter now! :) bit.ly/1cJ8z6O http://t.co/6asxjoXXLs 15 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.