Review: Black Heart by Holly Black
Title: Black Heart (Curse Workers Book 3)
Author: Holly Black
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Young Adult
Publisher: Orion Publishing Group (19th April 2012)
Cassel Sharpe knows that he’s been used as an assassin, but he’s trying to put all that behind him. He’s trying to be good, even though he grew up in a family of con artists and cheating comes as easily as breathing to him. He’s trying to do the right thing, even though the girl he loves is inextricably connected with crime. And he’s trying to convince himself that working for the Feds is smart, even though he’s been raised to believe the government is the enemy.
But with a mother on the lam, the girl he loves about to take her place in the Mob and new secrets coming to light, the line between what’s right and what’s wrong is blurred. When the Fed’s ask Cassel to do one of the things he said he would never do again, he needs to sort out what’s a con and what’s the truth. In a dangerous game and with his life on the line, Cassel may have to make his biggest gamble yet – this time on love.
Rating:***** (5 stars)
Black Heart is the third and final instalment of The Curse Worker Trilogy by Holly Black. We follow Cassel Sharpe, as he decides what do with his life and who he can trust. Cassel has come a long way from White Cat.
If you have been reading The Curse Worker Trilogy then you will absolutely fall in love with this book. I certainly did. This is Holly Black at her best, and Cassel Sharpe at his best. It was a joy to read. I don’t really want to go into any detail in this review, because I don’t want to spoil this book for you. It doesn’t deserve it.
First off, I just wanted to say that I absolutely adore the cover. It is positively gorgeous. The picture with this review does not do it justice at all. I think this is my absolute favourite cover of The Curse Worker Trilogy.
Black Heart wraps up The Curse Worker Trilogy with all the style and pizzazz I have come to expect from Holly Black. All my questions were answered, and boy was I led on a merry chase to discover the answers! This, like the rest of the trilogy, was a really fun book to read. We are reunited with Cassel, Sam, Dancea, Lila, Barron, and Cassel’s mother and grandfather. And what a reunion it is. I did not see the events of this book coming at all. To start with the plot seems pretty simple – Cassel is learning how to be ‘straight’ – but then the plot seems to twist and it’s not that simple any more. In this book Holly Black really pushes Cassel to his limits.
This is one of the best endings of a series that I have read. First books and last books are hard, and I think Holly Black pulls this book off brilliantly. I’m kinda sad to see the back of all the characters that I have fallen in love and in like with over the series, but I’m not disappointed things have come to an end either. I think that this was exactly the right place to end. Thanks Holly Black for taking me on this journey.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @HotKeyBooks: Help us find us new writing talent by voting for the Young Writers Prize with @wattpad! Find out how to vote here: http://… 4 hours ago
- RT @FaberChildrens: Harry and Lil from Hog in the Fog by @JuliaCopus were out enjoying the brief sunlight at @edbookfest today! http://t.co… 4 hours ago
- Bout of Books 11 – Day 3 & Day 4 bloglovin.com/blog/post/6017… on @bloglovin 12 hours ago
- Bout of Books 11 - Day 3 & Day 4 - Bout of Books 11 – Day 3 & Day 4 Wednesday – Day 3 The third day of the... tmblr.co/Zv_19w1OvMI4j 12 hours ago
- Hello Tweeps, hope everyone's having a good day. 12 hours ago
- Have combined Weds and Thurs updates as did nada on Weds. Will post it after I've been to bed. On that note, night all. #boutofbooks #night 22 hours ago
- Can't believe I'm still up... On the plus side I finished one book today and started and finished another! Yay! #boutofbooks 22 hours ago
- RT @EpicReads: Missed #ARCparty yesterday? (We missed YOU!) Catch the replay now! bit.ly/1pQyzWS http://t.co/sVsUt1s5l7 23 hours ago
- RT @MacmillanKidsUK: Ready for the launch of @Candy_Guard 's fantastic Turning to Jelly! http://t.co/PLuiTyVa06 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.