Review: Black Heart by Holly Black
Title: Black Heart (Curse Workers Book 3)
Author: Holly Black
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Young Adult
Publisher: Orion Publishing Group (19th April 2012)
Cassel Sharpe knows that he’s been used as an assassin, but he’s trying to put all that behind him. He’s trying to be good, even though he grew up in a family of con artists and cheating comes as easily as breathing to him. He’s trying to do the right thing, even though the girl he loves is inextricably connected with crime. And he’s trying to convince himself that working for the Feds is smart, even though he’s been raised to believe the government is the enemy.
But with a mother on the lam, the girl he loves about to take her place in the Mob and new secrets coming to light, the line between what’s right and what’s wrong is blurred. When the Fed’s ask Cassel to do one of the things he said he would never do again, he needs to sort out what’s a con and what’s the truth. In a dangerous game and with his life on the line, Cassel may have to make his biggest gamble yet – this time on love.
Rating:***** (5 stars)
Black Heart is the third and final instalment of The Curse Worker Trilogy by Holly Black. We follow Cassel Sharpe, as he decides what do with his life and who he can trust. Cassel has come a long way from White Cat.
If you have been reading The Curse Worker Trilogy then you will absolutely fall in love with this book. I certainly did. This is Holly Black at her best, and Cassel Sharpe at his best. It was a joy to read. I don’t really want to go into any detail in this review, because I don’t want to spoil this book for you. It doesn’t deserve it.
First off, I just wanted to say that I absolutely adore the cover. It is positively gorgeous. The picture with this review does not do it justice at all. I think this is my absolute favourite cover of The Curse Worker Trilogy.
Black Heart wraps up The Curse Worker Trilogy with all the style and pizzazz I have come to expect from Holly Black. All my questions were answered, and boy was I led on a merry chase to discover the answers! This, like the rest of the trilogy, was a really fun book to read. We are reunited with Cassel, Sam, Dancea, Lila, Barron, and Cassel’s mother and grandfather. And what a reunion it is. I did not see the events of this book coming at all. To start with the plot seems pretty simple – Cassel is learning how to be ‘straight’ – but then the plot seems to twist and it’s not that simple any more. In this book Holly Black really pushes Cassel to his limits.
This is one of the best endings of a series that I have read. First books and last books are hard, and I think Holly Black pulls this book off brilliantly. I’m kinda sad to see the back of all the characters that I have fallen in love and in like with over the series, but I’m not disappointed things have come to an end either. I think that this was exactly the right place to end. Thanks Holly Black for taking me on this journey.
I've recently completed my English MA with the Open University which I'm really pleased about. I'm a long-time bookaholic and chocolate fan.
You can find out more about me here.
If you have a book you'd like me to consider for review, then please have a look at my review policy.
- RT @deannaraybourn: "Without books we have neither a past nor a future." --Sleepy Hollow 9 hours ago
- RT @LKHamilton: This is the beginning of something really bad. You only silence the media when you don't want anyone to know. @dumpstoli @f… 23 hours ago
- RT @DefenceHQ: Military personnel have been helping communities affected by the recent flooding in the UK gov.uk/government/new… http://t.… 1 day ago
- RT @EverardsTiger: All set up @LeicesterTigers Christmas Market! Make sure you come and see us! #TigerMinikeg #Tigersfamily http://t.co/fG… 2 days ago
- RT @EverardsTiger: Come down to the @LeicesterTigers Christmas Market today b4 the match and say hello! Plenty of gifts for #xmas includin… 2 days ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: As it's our closest home game to Christmas, DJs Thrust and Power are asking for festive #Tigerstunes requests 2 days ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: The sun is shining on Welford Road for another #HeinekenCup matchday. Tickets still available on 0844 866 1880 http://… 2 days ago
- RT @TheTweetOfGod: #stupidity is trending. Not on Twitter, just in general. 2 days ago
- RT @EMTrains: HEAR YE. HEAR YE. All of our timetables change tomorrow! Find your new times here: ow.ly/rmwoJ 2 days ago
- RT @HeathrowAirport: Due to an aır traffıc control technical issue, flıghts from many UK aırports, ıncludıng Heathrow, are subject to delay… 3 days ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.