Review: The Eternal Kiss
Title: The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire
Editor: Trisha Telep
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy, Young Adult
Publisher: RP Teens (6th August 2009)
It’s hot. It’s irresistible. It’s dangerous. It’s an Eternal Kiss.
Supernatural forces and desires come alive in these thirteen vampire tales. Like love, the adventures are never safe and hungers never die. And chances are taken. If you are seduced by the mystery of the heart, beating for a destiny unknown, you will helplessly follow the characters in this collection – longing for one to call their own.
Rating:**** (4 stars)
The Eternal Kiss is an interesting collection of vampire tales brought together in one brilliant volume – twelve of which are original to the anthology.
I occasionally enjoy reading short stories, so I sometimes find myself buying anthologies like this one to satisfy the craving. On the whole I really enjoyed the stories in this collection. They are all, in their own way, incredibly brilliant and whilst some left me cold others made me laugh out loud (really) and wish that I’d thought about vampires like that before. There are several stories in the collection whose author I will be looking up to see if there is more written about them (I hope so).
Falling to Ash is definitely one of my favourite stories in the collection. I really liked the main character Moth and the narrative voice. It was nice to re-read Shelter Island which is set in the fantastic Blue Blood verse. Sword Point was an interesting read. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is centred around a really interesting idea which I would love to see explored. Undead is Very Hot Right Now was an interesting way of looking at the vampire phenomenon, it was a little bit sad and funny. Kat was surprising, but then I should know that things aren’t always what they seem in the Otherworld. The Thirteenth Step was great horror, and I think it’s the darkest piece in the collection. All Hallows was a brilliant read and made me think I should re-try the Morganville Vampires or maybe not if it has different main characters . . . Wet Teeth had a melancholic feel to it. Other Boys was a surprise and a close second darkest piece in the collection. I really enjoyed the concept of Passing, and I really hope there’s more in this universe as it is awesome! Love the main character and the twist – sooo wanna read more!! Ambition was sad and creepy. And finally All Wounds was a brilliant end to the collection, and yet another one which I hope there’s more of.
If you like urban fantasy, paranormal romance, or just vampires then this is definitely a collection to give a go, especially if you’ve not got the time to sit down with a whole novel. Although, you may find like me that once you’ve picked it up it’s rather difficult to put down.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is currently tentatively interested in receiving books for review as she has nearly reached the bottom of her TBR (for the moment). The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @92Y: Sneak peek: @JKagawa's #NYC #Talon! Buy tix to 11/1 event & you could win exclusive #dragon! bit.ly/1DEs8M6 http://t.co/jJ… 57 minutes ago
- RT @SciFiNow: Forget #TheHobbit 3, the new #AirNZHobbit safety video is the real epic tinyurl.com/qjh9p2o 58 minutes ago
- RT @PoppyLegion: Helena & Julie have been leading the changeovers all day at #TheWatch and it's gone incredibly smoothly. #PoppyAppeal http… 1 hour ago
- @Emily__Guido Thank you for tweeting about my review :) 1 hour ago
- RT @PoppyLegion: Elizabeth granddad was in #WW2. Her husband served in the #RAF. #TheWatch #LiveOn #PoppyAppeal http://t.co/Td1VuuTJKa 3 hours ago
- RT @orionbooks: Keep an eye out for the #TeamMoriarty helpers at London @Waterstones stores today handing out badges #IsawMoriarty http://… 3 hours ago
- ICYMI you can see my thoughts on DARK VISION by Debbie Johnson here: wp.me/p1sIYY-Ln 3 hours ago
- Yes why not dress up as a pineapple for Hallowe'en? #whynotindeed 5 hours ago
- Zoella gets everywhere. Not only does YouTube keep rec'ing her channel but now so is Tumblr... 6 hours ago
- Photoset: lost creatures tmblr.co/Zv_19w1TqnG5e 6 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.