Review: Betrayed by P.C. and Kristin Cast
Title: Betrayed (A House of Night Novel #2)
Author: P.C. and Kristin Cast
Genre:Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Atom (5th February 2009)
All any of us could talk about was Chris’s disappearance and how bizarre it was that he had last been seen so close to the House of Night. I didn’t want to believe it. But everything inside me said that the kid would be found, but he’d be found dead . . .
Things seem to be going pretty well for Zoey Redbird. She’s settled in at the House of Night finishing school and is coming to terms with her incredible new powers. It all seems too good to be true. And guess what?
Someone has begun murdering human teenagers, and all evidence points to the vampyres of Zoey’s school. Which means her first assignment as the leader of the Dark Daughters is finding out which one of her classmates or – gulp – teachers is a killer.
Sigh. And she thought her boyfriends (yes: plural) were going to be her biggest problem this year . . .
Rating:**** (4 stars)
Betrayed is the second book in P.C. and Kristin Cast’s fabulous A House of Night Novel series. The story takes up pretty much from where Marked left-off, though an indeterminate period of time has passed since the events of Marked.
I really enjoyed reading this book. I just devoured it; it took me less than a day from start to finish to read this, and I can’t wait to start the next book in the series :)
Betrayed has all the wonder of Marked and some of the same flaws too. It was nice to get re-introduced to the cast, to Zoey, and Stevie Rae, and Damien, and the Twins (Shaunee and Erin, who aren’t really twins at all), and to Erik, and to Nala (Zoey’s cat). I fell straight back into the world of House of Night, it was like I’d never left. I really liked that about this book.
We also got introduced to some new characters, who were interesting, and I can’t wait to see how they develop. Changes are definitely afoot in this book. It is interesting to see how things fall out, and the questions it causes for the next book – which, just in case I haven’t mentioned this before, I am looking forward to reading. Aphrodite and Neferet are very, very interesting in this book. I won’t say more than that, because I don’t want to spoil it for you. But I couldn’t let them go unremarked upon.
There are some definite twists in this book, some of which were hinted at in Marked, but they’re more explicit in Betrayed. Zoey is a bit well . . . silly in this book, and there were times when I wanted to poke her. Yet that was part of the thrill for me, I felt involved. Zoey’s reactions are kind of understandable, especially with the major mystery of the book – who is murdering the humans?
If you’ve read and liked Marked, you should definitely continue on to Betrayed. And if you’ve not picked up Marked, then you should.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- *pokes Tumblr* why you no like me?! 3 hours ago
- 60 Minutes: Sir Nicholas Winton "Saving the Children": youtu.be/c0aoifNziKQ via @YouTube 4 hours ago
- @Doc_Megz_to_be *hugs* I'm so sorry to hear that. 5 hours ago
- @JessHeartsBooks huh, I didn't know anything was going on at the moment. That it is, is so sad and depressing :( 5 hours ago
- RT @when_sam_speaks: "@thejenwilkinson: P.S. Happy Batman Day (wt) http://t.co/iSN7ctCLPm" 5 hours ago
- RT @DisneyHyperion: You know you want one...opening night at #SDCC2014 - booth 929! http://t.co/itJmZdH5cL 5 hours ago
- RT @Dina_at_Disney: Hard at work setting up for #SDCC2014! Come see us in booth 929. #booksbooksbooks http://t.co/dNApiDp1tH 5 hours ago
- RT @Jkagawa: New vlog post: Why I write YA. juliekagawa.blogspot.com/2014/07/vlog-p… 5 hours ago
- none because a lot of them seem to attrack trouble & I'm already stuck on a desert island...(2/2) 6 hours ago
- This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic amused me. It was Top Ten Characters I Would Want With Me On A Desert Island. My instant thought was (1/?) 6 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.