Review: Betrayed by P.C. and Kristin Cast
Title: Betrayed (A House of Night Novel #2)
Author: P.C. and Kristin Cast
Genre:Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Atom (5th February 2009)
All any of us could talk about was Chris’s disappearance and how bizarre it was that he had last been seen so close to the House of Night. I didn’t want to believe it. But everything inside me said that the kid would be found, but he’d be found dead . . .
Things seem to be going pretty well for Zoey Redbird. She’s settled in at the House of Night finishing school and is coming to terms with her incredible new powers. It all seems too good to be true. And guess what?
Someone has begun murdering human teenagers, and all evidence points to the vampyres of Zoey’s school. Which means her first assignment as the leader of the Dark Daughters is finding out which one of her classmates or – gulp – teachers is a killer.
Sigh. And she thought her boyfriends (yes: plural) were going to be her biggest problem this year . . .
Rating:**** (4 stars)
Betrayed is the second book in P.C. and Kristin Cast’s fabulous A House of Night Novel series. The story takes up pretty much from where Marked left-off, though an indeterminate period of time has passed since the events of Marked.
I really enjoyed reading this book. I just devoured it; it took me less than a day from start to finish to read this, and I can’t wait to start the next book in the series :)
Betrayed has all the wonder of Marked and some of the same flaws too. It was nice to get re-introduced to the cast, to Zoey, and Stevie Rae, and Damien, and the Twins (Shaunee and Erin, who aren’t really twins at all), and to Erik, and to Nala (Zoey’s cat). I fell straight back into the world of House of Night, it was like I’d never left. I really liked that about this book.
We also got introduced to some new characters, who were interesting, and I can’t wait to see how they develop. Changes are definitely afoot in this book. It is interesting to see how things fall out, and the questions it causes for the next book – which, just in case I haven’t mentioned this before, I am looking forward to reading. Aphrodite and Neferet are very, very interesting in this book. I won’t say more than that, because I don’t want to spoil it for you. But I couldn’t let them go unremarked upon.
There are some definite twists in this book, some of which were hinted at in Marked, but they’re more explicit in Betrayed. Zoey is a bit well . . . silly in this book, and there were times when I wanted to poke her. Yet that was part of the thrill for me, I felt involved. Zoey’s reactions are kind of understandable, especially with the major mystery of the book – who is murdering the humans?
If you’ve read and liked Marked, you should definitely continue on to Betrayed. And if you’ve not picked up Marked, then you should.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
Becki is snowed under with books, and is not currently accepting anything for review. She is hoping to change this in the future, when she has reduced her reading pile to a more manageable level. The Flutterby Room is however always open to guest posts, author interviews, and promoting upcoming releases. If you are interested in this, then you can find more information here.
- RT @robertb83: Found at our table at @DeanStTownhouse - one bunny - please help us find their owners before it gets drunk! :-p http://t.co/… 3 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Matchday bus services timetable for Tigers v London Irish next Saturday tinyurl.com/nkvqy7e 3 hours ago
- RT @NinjaBookSwap: And you can sign up to send internationally or domestic, we will do our best to accommodate everyone! #ninjabookswap htt… 3 hours ago
- Not quite as early as I'd have liked cause I'm an idiot, but . . . BED!!! #nightall #pleasantdreams 13 hours ago
- Lesson learned (probably): going to bed at 2.30am when you have to get up and stay up at 7am is not a good idea. #yawn 16 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Tigers now have an all-Italian front row of Brugnara, Ghiraldini, Pasquali #tigerslive 20 hours ago
- RT @HogwartsLogic: This is perfect http://t.co/IpZXEVk4YE 20 hours ago
- RT @LeicesterTigers: Record crowd at The Rec confirmed as 12,817 this afternoon #tigerslive 20 hours ago
- Get it together! You can beat them! RT: @LeicesterTigers: HALF TIME at The Rec, Bath 23 Leicester Tigers 0 #tigerslive 20 hours ago
- RT @NinjaBookSwap: Sending people bookish stuff in the post is one of the best ways to cheer up someone's day, come be a ninja with us! htt… 20 hours ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.