Review: Betrayed by P.C. and Kristin Cast
Title: Betrayed (A House of Night Novel #2)
Author: P.C. and Kristin Cast
Genre:Paranormal Romance, Young Adult
Publisher: Atom (5th February 2009)
All any of us could talk about was Chris’s disappearance and how bizarre it was that he had last been seen so close to the House of Night. I didn’t want to believe it. But everything inside me said that the kid would be found, but he’d be found dead . . .
Things seem to be going pretty well for Zoey Redbird. She’s settled in at the House of Night finishing school and is coming to terms with her incredible new powers. It all seems too good to be true. And guess what?
Someone has begun murdering human teenagers, and all evidence points to the vampyres of Zoey’s school. Which means her first assignment as the leader of the Dark Daughters is finding out which one of her classmates or – gulp – teachers is a killer.
Sigh. And she thought her boyfriends (yes: plural) were going to be her biggest problem this year . . .
Rating:**** (4 stars)
Betrayed is the second book in P.C. and Kristin Cast’s fabulous A House of Night Novel series. The story takes up pretty much from where Marked left-off, though an indeterminate period of time has passed since the events of Marked.
I really enjoyed reading this book. I just devoured it; it took me less than a day from start to finish to read this, and I can’t wait to start the next book in the series :)
Betrayed has all the wonder of Marked and some of the same flaws too. It was nice to get re-introduced to the cast, to Zoey, and Stevie Rae, and Damien, and the Twins (Shaunee and Erin, who aren’t really twins at all), and to Erik, and to Nala (Zoey’s cat). I fell straight back into the world of House of Night, it was like I’d never left. I really liked that about this book.
We also got introduced to some new characters, who were interesting, and I can’t wait to see how they develop. Changes are definitely afoot in this book. It is interesting to see how things fall out, and the questions it causes for the next book – which, just in case I haven’t mentioned this before, I am looking forward to reading. Aphrodite and Neferet are very, very interesting in this book. I won’t say more than that, because I don’t want to spoil it for you. But I couldn’t let them go unremarked upon.
There are some definite twists in this book, some of which were hinted at in Marked, but they’re more explicit in Betrayed. Zoey is a bit well . . . silly in this book, and there were times when I wanted to poke her. Yet that was part of the thrill for me, I felt involved. Zoey’s reactions are kind of understandable, especially with the major mystery of the book – who is murdering the humans?
If you’ve read and liked Marked, you should definitely continue on to Betrayed. And if you’ve not picked up Marked, then you should.
Becki is the owner and blogger on The Flutterby Room. She has an MA English through the Open University, and she gained her BA (Hons) English with Creative Writing from University College Falmouth. Books have been a huge part of her life for as long as she can remember, and although she is primarily a reader she does occasionally dabble with writing. When not reading (which isn’t that often) Becki can be found cooking, baking or listening to music – and sometimes doing two of the three at once.
The Flutterby Room is on hiatus throughout the month of March 2015.
- RT @BBCRadio4: This photo was taken #otd in 1944 at a BBC Home Service recording. Spot the blues mega stars: bbc.in/1BVGqdT http://… 4 hours ago
- RT @ukyaba: A piece in the Guardian as to what book bloggers mean to the industry: theguardian.com/childrens-book… @lynseynewton @raimy_rawr @Serend… 4 hours ago
- RT @ColitisNinja: #UlcerativeColitis & #CrohnsDisease are much more serious than most people realize. We need a cure. 13 hours ago
- Review: Wild Justice by Kelley Armstrong bloglovin.com/blog/post/6017… on @bloglovin 1 day ago
- Review: Wild Justice by Kelley Armstrong - Review: Wild Justice by Kelley Armstrong Wild Justice by Kelley... tmblr.co/Zv_19w1f1g2uL 1 day ago
- @mcahogarth space pirate 1 day ago
- RT @booksandquills: .@quirkbooks is hiring a Social Media and Marketing Manager. You should apply. Do it do it do it! quirkbooks.com/page/jobs 1 day ago
- RT @WBDTeenFest: 5 minutes until #WBDTeenFest officially begins! We’ve just published some fantastic author blogposts and playlists at http… 1 day ago
- RT @driverminnie: This is so good, because there isn't enough bitter, Pluto needlepoint . http://t.co/DH7IZDdPLy 1 day ago
Series I ♥
Want your own banners? Then visit i'm loving books.